Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

5.4 Exhaust Leak? or ticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 Exhaust Leak? or ticking

Hello I have a 2001 Supercab 5.4 116000 miles, have had nothing but problems starting with an exhaust leak that turned out to be a spark plug that was stripped out and was moving. new to the truck and havent heard of the spark plug problems i just figured it was manifold gasket and started looking for headers. My spark plug blew out of the engine the same week. Brought it to a local shop they put in a helicoil a few weeks later that blew out too. I found new heads on the internet that had been remanufactured, chemicaly welded more threads, and a pin or something holding in the spark plug threads better then stock. a hefty repair bill from that and now a few months down the road i have a familiar ticking noise again my last resort is to check the spark plugs hoping something else could be wrong any ideas to check on before i take off the coils and check the plugs i have checked the manifold gasket and the doughnut gasket bolts too everything was tight.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Apprentice Mechanic

no broken studs at the manifold? With new heads you would think u got new studs too so u would hopefully be okay but get in there with a mirror and make sure...

Also check the downpipes at the manifold they mighta loosened off a bit
Old 11-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Censored by the Man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check all the hardware around the head. Maybe something cam loose or was left loose from the head repair.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:38 PM

if all your plugs are tight and the manifold gaskets are good and the studs are tight then not sure.. might be in the cats? take the belt off and listen for external knocks.. id hate for a plug to blow out.. i had a loose one making a ticking noise to..

Quick Reply: 5.4 Exhaust Leak? or ticking