Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Valve cover & exhaust leak 97 4.6l

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Okie.

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

As the title states I have a valve cover leak on the drivers side and a exhaust leak on the drivers side. How hard is it to change these out? Done them on 9th gen and older but not 10th gen. And never a OHC engine.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:58 PM

Received 5,557 Likes on 4,634 Posts

Wow, a modular motor cam cover leak ? That's would be a first for me...you sure ?

Anyway, -cam cover (valve cover "veryoldschool") gaskets aren't that bad,- IF all the bolts come out. They like to strip inside and in place so, - you must know how fun that could be.. (?)

Best thing to do right from the get go with that exhaust leak is replace everything with new Dorman parts. You might need a new EGR pipe as well. You'll find out once you get into it and after a whole bunch of bitching.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Okie.

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Wow, a modular motor cam cover leak ? That's would be a first for me...you sure ?

Anyway, -cam cover (valve cover "veryoldschool") gaskets aren't that bad,- IF all the bolts come out. They like to strip inside and in place so, - you must know how fun that could be.. (?)

Best thing to do right from the get go with that exhaust leak is replace everything with new Dorman parts. You might need a new EGR pipe as well. You'll find out once you get into it and after a whole bunch of bitching.
Ok can do. I always go felpro everything when it comes to gaskets. Never used dorman. And looks like I got a full dau of work ahead of me on my next day off. And what parts just gasket? Or bolts/studs ect?
Old 06-24-2014, 02:12 AM

Received 5,557 Likes on 4,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Welder7018
Ok can do. I always go felpro everything when it comes to gaskets. Never used dorman. And looks like I got a full dau of work ahead of me on my next day off. And what parts just gasket? Or bolts/studs ect?
Reason why I say Dorman is because many have used them w/success and Dorman has kits that come with everything included. It's the best way to go, - GREAT prices and I assure you you'll be thanking me later lol.

Usually it's a combination of parts that start going bad down by the EGR side (drivers). You'll have to check it out. Remove the inner wheel well for sure and take a good look. The exhaust studs will be rusted pretty good BUT, stick a socket on them, they may back right out w/no problem. You'll need a 12/13mm and a 5mm on hand. If anything breaks, - well, we can fix that too..

If the manifold to head nuts or studs back right out, then you will not need that hardware. You will probably need an EGR reducer IF your 97 has one between the pipe and manifold. I would get the new flange studs and nuts as well. Look at the Dorman Manifold Kits, you'll see what I mean.

Quick Reply: Valve cover & exhaust leak 97 4.6l