Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Transmission Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Transmission Troubles

Hi everyone.

I have a problem.. I noticed the last few nights after leaving work that my truck "shutters" when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Seems to be a little better once the truck warms up. This has been going on a week. Here's some info on my truck

1998 Ford f150 4.2L V6. I got about 266,XXX kms on it. Had the transmission serviced about 16,000 kms ago.. the mfg date is 12/97.

I got no check engine light and the O/D light on the shifter is not flashing.. I've looked around here lots, doesn't seem like anyone has had the same problem.. Within the past year I've picked up a camper just a 20 foot prowler, nothing fancy I never pull it more then an hour away and never over 80kms (yes I turn over drive off also)

If I drive the truck real nice it shifts fine warm or cold.. but if I got the peddle down half way or more or the truck is under a load (camper) and don't let off when it shifts it sometimes shutters and SLAMS into 2nd. The first few times it shifted so hard I actually looked behind me cause I thought I hit something or ran something over. Also I was wondering what transmission fluid should be used in this truck. My buddy works at the shop that did the flush so i want to ask them what they used, but want to know whats right first

Lets here it boys!

Thanks for your time and suggestions in advance.

Last edited by Myers; 05-30-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welp from doing some reading and having talked to a good friend who rebuilds these trannys I am going to go and replace the 1-2 shift Accumulator springs.. I ordered them from Ford.. Came to about $18 bucks for both springs... 4 days to get here in Ontario. Pending on how much time we have I might do a how too with pics of this. Time permitting.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Troubles-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

This may be torque converter shudder. I'll assume your fluid is in good condition, considering the recent service (check it anyway for level, bubbling and color). I had the same shudder in 1st to 2nd - going up an inclined driveway, or out my subdivision. I added a 2oz tube of Lubegard Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix to the tranny fluid, where 2oz doesn't bump up the level. This fixed my problem! And only $6 to do!

Quick Reply: Transmission Troubles