Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Timing chain catastrophe

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing chain catastrophe

Seeking wisdom from the crew.
As stated above, some or all of this assembly took a dump.

Shop quoted $7k for remanned, installed. No.

I know its nearly impossible to diagnose remotely, but I'm wondering 3 things:

A) potential cost for doing the work myself?
B) likely parts list?
C) Is it really worth it?

'01 XLT; 5.4, auto, 4x4, 224k miles. Gave $1500 for it 28 months back.

I know that C) is highly subjective. I love this rig more than I should.
Sadly, I had just gotten new rubber all the way around the week before.

The spousal unit wants to see it leave. I need some assistance convincing her it should stay...

Last edited by brobia; 05-05-2019 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Cuz I forgot some vitals
Old 05-05-2019, 09:39 PM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

You have almost nothing in it. And it's an old truck so any money you spend on it is gone no matter what. How much you spend is up to you. But at 224K miles it's had a good run. Fastest, easiest way to get it rolling again (and give you several more years of use) is to throw a reman motor in it. Rebuilding one yourself will end up taking a lot longer than you expect and cost you 4x as much as your original estimate. The reman will be cheaper.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Going with a quality replacement is the way to go, much cheaper x2. More choices with a 4six as you can go far beyond the tenth generation for a replacement. Yea , the 4six 2V carried on through gen 11. However, a low mileage 5four two valves are out there. I personally wouldn't go with a reman, MOST remanufacturers go the cheap route. Life expectancy , - 50,000 miles.
Last I heard , Ford has remans they are willing to part with. So if you consider a reman, get one from the manufacturer. They are the only remans built to original specifications. Other than that, and in your predicament, -a cheaper used and proven engine would be my choice. Check it's health via compression check, you want to confirm it wasn't abused, which isn't that difficult to do beforehand and you'll save a shee-ton of cash this way. Good luck with the wife...all I can say there lol.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Going with a quality replacement is the way to go, much cheaper x2. More choices with a 4six as you can go far beyond the tenth generation for a replacement. Yea , the 4six 2V carried on through gen 11. However, a low mileage 5four two valves are out there. I personally wouldn't go with a reman, MOST remanufacturers go the cheap route. Life expectancy , - 50,000 miles.
Last I heard , Ford has remans they are willing to part with. So if you consider a reman, get one from the manufacturer. They are the only remans built to original specifications. Other than that, and in your predicament, -a cheaper used and proven engine would be my choice. Check it's health via compression check, you want to confirm it wasn't abused, which isn't that difficult to do beforehand and you'll save a shee-ton of cash this way. Good luck with the wife...all I can say there lol.
Thanks
I was actually hoping you would jump in.

Best I can tell, this engine is toast since the ultimate failure occurred while under power (65mph, 1900 rpm)
I was wishful thinking that I could simply get everything back into time, then replace chains and guides, etc.

My replacement DD has been bought, but doesn't wear an oval
Old 05-06-2019, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by brobia
Thanks
I was actually hoping you would jump in.

Best I can tell, this engine is toast since the ultimate failure occurred while under power (65mph, 1900 rpm)
I was wishful thinking that I could simply get everything back into time, then replace chains and guides, etc.

My replacement DD has been bought, but doesn't wear an oval
Are you sure it's toast ? If not just fix it, 224,000 isn't much for that engine imo. I know of a 98 that's still running, and it runs good at 350,000 plus. Original engine, trans and heater core lol.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:10 AM

Are you sure it's toast ? If not just fix it, 224,000 isn't much for that engine imo. I know of a 98 that's still running, and it runs good at 350,000 plus. Original engine, trans and heater core lol.
No, I'm not.
Assuming it's an interference engine.

I am a carpenter, not a mechanic. Google machine gave mixed results; most of what I found was for 3v engine.

I do know that after the failure, it would crank but no fire. I don't recall any noises outside of it stopping.
Haven't looked to see if anything got forcefully ejected yet either. Currently 250 miles from it. (working out of town)

I'd love to know of a test procedure to evaluate condition.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:27 AM

You mention timing chain failure, did it just loose the chain or did it jump and bend the valves ?
Old 05-06-2019, 12:33 AM

You mention timing chain failure, did it just loose the chain or did it jump and bend the valves ?
This, I do not know.
I need to do some investigation when I get home again.
The chain failure is what I got from the shop I had it towed to. Good reference, but never had work done there myself.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:13 AM

Yea, you need to try and determine what happened after losing the chain, turn the crank by hand if you can, see what's going on.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:57 AM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

You can put in used engine cheapest, maybe 2500-3000.
7k sounds like dealer price

Theres all different levels of remans depending on who does it .
Good reman will be $3000-3500. Install cost is 1200-2500.

Mine has 70k, runs like new. Truck has 270k

If truck needs other work, its probably too much
I spent $4400 putting AER engine in, $8000 total at that time to fix up things so that it was worth driving several more years. To me. You wont recoup repair costs by selling it....only by driving it. So it needs to be a vehicle you like.

In almost 4 yrs since, only things ive spent $ on was alternator, battery, heater core hoses. Just drove 1000 mi round trip last weekend. My truck is clean, comfortable, dependable. I am looking at proactively replacing radiator and fuel pump to keep it that way. Old plastic.....breaks.

$1500 purchase doesnt lead me to believe truck is in good enough shape to spend $ on.

The timing chain guides in these engines are plastic and wear. Especially if improper oil and filter is used, it slaps on startup. Anyone with over 200 k should consider replacing their guides proactively.

Last edited by mbb; 05-06-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Timing chain catastrophe