Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Tick Tick Tick's everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tick Tick Tick's everywhere

So the motor ticks bad when I start it cold, then is stops so I'm assuming either a manifold bolt/gasket/crack.

Then I get another tick tick tick when I engage the clutch while it's cold. It stops when I let it up, then starts again when I push it in again.

Question #1 = Related problems or two different problems?

Both seem to go away when the motor warms up, but there is a persistent exhaust leak that I can here while driving or accelerating.

Question #2= If it's cracked manifold and not a bolt/gasket. Should I just go with a set of shorty headers? And if so would that require a re-flashing of my custom tune?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:05 PM

It could just be the exhaust leak or clicking lifters but if its maintained then its probably just the exhaust leak i would check the exhaust first.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

To your question #1 - suspect two different problems. With the clutch, thinking a throwout bearing.

Question #2 - Ford is very, very proud of their manifolds - so the headers could be the less expensive route unless there's an aftermarket OEM-spec manifold manufacturer. Don't know that your tune would require a reflash, but perhaps something to consider / keep in mind.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by wde3477
To your question #1 - suspect two different problems. With the clutch, thinking a throwout bearing.

Question #2 - Ford is very, very proud of their manifolds - so the headers could be the less expensive route unless there's an aftermarket OEM-spec manifold manufacturer. Don't know that your tune would require a reflash, but perhaps something to consider / keep in mind.
Throwout bearing huh? That's gonna require transmission removal if I'm not mistaken right?

F a n t a s t i c.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Yeah - the tranny needs to come out to do the throwout bearing job. IIRC, it's integral with the slave cylinder? It would also be a good opportunity to do a major clutch overhaul, should the clutch be on the downside of its expected lifespan.

Don't know that it's an immediate action item. My experience is that the throwout gets pretty noisy and unbearable before failure. Perhaps other members can share their perspectives.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:07 AM

Got it up on a lift this morning. No visible leaks anywhere, however, theres a tube coming from the back of the driver side manifold that disappears up under the firewall and is shooting out fumes right under the tranny tunnel.

So, looks like nothing that's a huge deal as this is part of just the emissions system. Not gonna crack a head with this problem.

The other noise is definitely a bearing noise, so looks like a new clutch is in the near future. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Tick Tick Tick's everywhere