Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Theft light flashing during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft light flashing during acceleration

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and I've searched but haven't found anything like my problem. I've been trying to figure it out but just can't find the cause. Only when accelerating the truck shutters like it's misfiring. The strange thing is the theft light flashes a few times. And the truck does not throw any misfire codes? Anyone seen or heard of something like this? I'm going to attach a link to my video if i can. Thanks for any help!

Theft light flashing:
Old 10-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

The Anti Theft Passive mode is controlled by the ignition. If someone busts your ignition, the PCM wont shoot power to any coils. When you have a misfire, it's usually because your coil is bad, or on its way out. The theft will go away once you fix the misfire, I gurantee it.

Check for pending codes, just because you dont have a CEL, doesnt mean the computer doesn't know what's going on in there. If you have misfire at idle, just pull the connectors off, and its worse, that coil is good. If it remains the same, that coil is bad.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

I had a coil go out and it did not have the flashing theft light and the RPM's did not drop like that. You either have a lot more then 1 coil bad or your truck can't decide if it's being stolen haha.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:31 AM

Dopewaffle- I forgot to mention I changed out all the plugs and coil packets probably about a year ago cause it was throwing misfire codes. It did that after I had it helicoiled cause it had the infamous blown spark plug. And I don't feel a misfire at idle, it's only when the throttle is pressed, even in neutral it does it and the light flashes. I'll try unplugging the coils again to see? Maybe i got a bad one that is going out again? Thanks!

Fordfan- I did used to drive it pretty hard back in the day. It was nothing to have it doors deep in mud! But it always just crawled right out. So maybe it's trying to tell me something? Lol. The RPM drop is from me shifting gears. I forgot to mention to it's a 5 speed.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by jtrent86
Dopewaffle- I forgot to mention I changed out all the plugs and coil packets probably about a year ago cause it was throwing misfire codes. It did that after I had it helicoiled cause it had the infamous blown spark plug. And I don't feel a misfire at idle, it's only when the throttle is pressed, even in neutral it does it and the light flashes. I'll try unplugging the coils again to see? Maybe i got a bad one that is going out again? Thanks!

Fordfan- I did used to drive it pretty hard back in the day. It was nothing to have it doors deep in mud! But it always just crawled right out. So maybe it's trying to tell me something? Lol. The RPM drop is from me shifting gears. I forgot to mention to it's a 5 speed.
Its probably on its way out. Check injectors as well.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by dopewaffle
The Anti Theft Passive mode is controlled by the ignition. If someone busts your ignition, the PCM wont shoot power to any coils. When you have a misfire, it's usually because your coil is bad, or on its way out. The theft will go away once you fix the misfire, I gurantee it.

Check for pending codes, just because you dont have a CEL, doesnt mean the computer doesn't know what's going on in there. If you have misfire at idle, just pull the connectors off, and its worse, that coil is good. If it remains the same, that coil is bad.
Shenanigans!!!!!!!!

To the OP. More than like you have a RAP module going bad or a loss of voltage going to the PCM. Try replacing the PCM relay, along with Trying a different Key. I personally hate the PATS system. It may require a trip to the dealer to see if there are in codes in the PATS. I have only seen one scan tool that has access to the PATS system and that is the IDS. I would look into a programmer and disable the PATS system.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2

Shenanigans!!!!!!!!

To the OP. More than like you have a RAP module going bad or a loss of voltage going to the PCM. Try replacing the PCM relay, along with Trying a different Key. I personally hate the PATS system. It may require a trip to the dealer to see if there are in codes in the PATS. I have only seen one scan tool that has access to the PATS system and that is the IDS. I would look into a programmer and disable the PATS system.
The PATS function uses the PCM to enable or disable*the engine. All elements of PATSmust be functional before*the engine*is allowed to start. If any of the componentsare not working correctly, the vehicle will not start.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by jtrent86

Did you ever figure out what was causing this? Mine does the same thing, except blinks faster, and only does it when the engine is cold on hard acceleration. Once it warms up, It doesn't flash at all, unless it's below 15 outside(only drove one night with it that cold) and it will do it constantly. Doesn't get that cold here in Texas too often lol.

Quick Reply: Theft light flashing during acceleration