Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Swaybar Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swaybar Delete?

So I was just reading on a Ford Raptor forum, and someone removed his sway bar and said he liked the difference. My bushings are done, I just got new ones for $20 but I don't care if its wasted. Not installed yet...so what are pros and cons to this?

How is pavement driving changed?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your truck 2WD or 4WD? If you go off-road a LOT, it may be a good delete. If most of your driving is on-road and you drive on curvy roads once in a while or even long, sweeping, higher-speed freeway corners, I say leave it hooked up (even rounding normal street corners for that matter). I'm sure you know that a swaybar reduces body roll. It can also reduce traction when off-roading on even not-so-technical trails.

Basically, if you play lightly and mainly stick to the asphalt, leave it hooked up. If you play hard and play hard a lot, you might try it and see how you like it.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 PM

I know you can buy it for jeeps not sure about our trucks but its a quick disconnect for the sway bars.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:40 PM
will run you OVER

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I took mine off. it seems to ride a lot smoother and going over bumps it makes/lets the suspension cycle easier.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Take it off. I did. Big difference in ride quality! It lets the IFS work the way it was designed to. Not a big difference in body roll, blah, blah... Probably a different story on a 2wd due to the coils
Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 PM

So far sounds like she is coming off.

Yea its a 2wd, but I plan on making her a mild pre-runner, probably start that around July. So I would like it to help off road but if it also made her smoother over bumps/potholes I'd really like it.

I don't really care about body roll, I know my truck and its not a car racing around corners. Unless when I go around curves it just feels like a caddy with blow air suspension wobbling..
Old 02-05-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

After I took mine off I took it for a test run. Tried high speed stuff and a hair pin at 50km...really not much of a difference, but My tbars are stiff as hell
Old 02-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Nor-Cal

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 01f1502wd
I took mine off. it seems to ride a lot smoother and going over bumps it makes/lets the suspension cycle easier.
any troubles with body roll and does it really ride smoother?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 AM
D-RoCk'S CuStOmS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to try this since my t bars are so cranked it's not like there's gunna be much body roll anyways
Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 AM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 03FX4604

does it really ride smoother?
Well if you think of the physics of the sway bar and how it works, the suspension should be able to absorb bumps better without the bar...

Every time your, let's say passenger side hits a good size bump, the sway bar jerks the drivers side upward with it and in turn the bar is fighting the passenger side from traveling... Delete this action and the passenger side will travel freely over the bump with no concern with what's goin on over the other side... Now your front is truly independent...

Well this might make for a softer feel as the sway bar acts as a dampener (like the shocks) when hooked up as well... I suggest some better than factory shocks after removal...

As far as body roll... These trucks aren't made for quick and speedy maneuvers... In my opinion you don't need one because we aren't ripping long sweeping corners but....

**Warning: If you do remove the sway bar and need to make an emergency maneuver or you do drive one of these trucks like a teen with a death wish... be sure you are familiar with the characteristics of your vehicle with the sway bar missing... The shocks dampen a quick maneuver but they will allow the weight to transfer slowly and the corner well seem to get deeper as you go, if you know what I mean...

Quick Reply: Swaybar Delete?