Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Suggestions with leveling

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions with leveling

I have a completely stock 03 f150 2wd. I’m looking for suggestions getting rid of the rake look and would like to lift up the front to match the rear. Any suggestions for a inexpensive lift kit or even better how high can I crank the torsion bar before having to do an alignment or running to other issues?
Old 07-12-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Being a 2wd you do not have t-bars. Have you considered dropping the rear with a shackle rather than lifting the front? It would be easier to do and would not require an alignment once it was done. If you are set on lifting the front then your cheapest option would be to use a spacer or lift springs. However, if you go above 2" your geometry will be way off and you will being going through a lot of ball joints. No matter what you do, you will definitely need an alignment to correct the positive camber.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:32 AM

Some info I did not know, thanks for the heads up. I usually tow my boat so I’d like to keep the rears as is. If 2” is all that’s needed to level things out and not mess with the geometry, I’ll be happy. Anyone got any recommendations as far as brand? I’d like to have something ride like stock and not so stiff.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Procharged392
Some info I did not know, thanks for the heads up. I usually tow my boat so I’d like to keep the rears as is. If 2” is all that’s needed to level things out and not mess with the geometry, I’ll be happy. Anyone got any recommendations as far as brand? I’d like to have something ride like stock and not so stiff.
No worries and towing would be a priority for me too. Rough country makes good stuff for these trucks that I wouldn't hesitate to run. Even if you only go up 2" you will want an alignment or you will need new tires before too long.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

Spring blocks or lift springs are going to ride stiffer than stock. spindle lift keeps the stock ride and geometry. And is by far the best option. For 2wd.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 PM
mbb

Received 895 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Procharged392
I have a completely stock 03 f150 2wd. I’m looking for suggestions getting rid of the rake look and would like to lift up the front to match the rear. Any suggestions for a inexpensive lift kit or even better how high can I crank the torsion bar before having to do an alignment or running to other issues?
That "rake look", is necessary for payload carrying, and handling.

But, if looking like a broken toy with backend dragging is what you rather, go for it. Fools destroy their trucks every day, because in their ignorance they think it looks cool to do so. It looks stupid.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 PM

If I had a 2wd I would throw on lowering shackles in the rear and air bags for any kind of towing. I wouldn't call that ruining a truck but that's just me.

The only reason I didn't mention spindles is because he wanted the least expensive option but it is by far the best option for lifting a 2wd.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jprevat
If I had a 2wd I would throw on lowering shackles in the rear and air bags for any kind of towing. I wouldn't call that ruining a truck but that's just me.

The only reason I didn't mention spindles is because he wanted the least expensive option but it is by far the best option for lifting a 2wd.

I saw that, But there is really no options for what he said he wanted to do. Don't change the geometry and keep stock ride. In the long run cheep aint cheap.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:35 PM

So a 2” spindle lift(if they exist) will change geometry?

Let’s not put the stock geometry in the picture, what’s by option leveling the front to match the stock rears?

I tow a 18” aluminum boat, roughly I don’t know 1k lbs. the rears do not sag but I like the stock clearance it has now. I’m not a fan of the the lifted 4”-5”+ appearance on this particular year truck so looking to just adjust the front with a subtle lift.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:38 PM

This is what I’m shooting for...

Quick Reply: Suggestions with leveling