Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Strange Transfer case leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange Transfer case leak

I have a 02 fx4, and I noticed a couple of spots on the driveway. Of course I had to crawl under to see where it was coming from. I noticed the bottom of the transfer case was wet and dripping down on the cross member, and to the ground. I checked where is meets the tranny and the wetness is back from there, and looked at the front shaft seal and it is dry, and I know the rear output seal needs to be replaced, but this does not look where it is leaking and making the bottom of the housing wet. It almost looks like it is where the two main housings for the transfer case come together. Is there a seal between these two housings? Can I tighten the bolts around the housing.? Any input guys? This forum has been awsome for helping keep my baby in shape.

Last edited by 2002QCFX4; 07-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

As far as I know there is not a not seal there. Mine is doing the same thing. If you T-case is leaking you may have a bad transmission output shaft seal. I've noticed mine doing the same thing and it was pushing transmission fluid into the transfer case.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the level of the t case if it's over full then the rear trans seal and the t case input seal is leaking, sounds like this may be your problem also check your tranny fluid.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked my Tranny level and it has not moved. I will check the transfer level in the morning. Would BOTH the tranny output seal, and the transfer case input seal be leaking for this to happen? If so that is bad luck . If both had to be replaced, can this be done by only taking the transfer case out, or does the tranny have to come to?
Old 07-12-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

The transfer case input seal is made to keep oil in the transfer case. So if the transmission output shaft seal begins to leak it will bypass the seal on the transfercase. The cost of the 2 seals is about $25 bucks, but you have to pull the transfer case out to replace them. Which also means you have to move the torsion bar cross member.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
The transfer case input seal is made to keep oil in the transfer case. So if the transmission output shaft seal begins to leak it will bypass the seal on the transfercase. The cost of the 2 seals is about $25 bucks, but you have to pull the transfer case out to replace them. Which also means you have to move the torsion bar cross member.
x2 I love not having torsion bars for that one reason made mine so easy to remove. There is a paper seal that goes in between the tranny and t case. Mine has a slight leak but it never touches the ground. I wouldnt recommend using those things. Just use RTV instead. Also t case has limited fluid to low to leak out...and i just rebuilt my t case so i figure that the tranny output shaft seal is going out.

Quick Reply: Strange Transfer case leak