Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Starting problem of a 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem of a 5.4

I have a 1999 Lightning that won't turn over. I can here the solenoid click, but the starter doesn't attempt to turn. I'm not sure if it's the starter or the rotating mass that has locked up. The battery is new and the voltage is 12.78. The previous battery was bad and wouldn't hold a charge. I was hoping the battery was the problem, but apparently not. I am also thinking it may be the Bendix on the starter that may have in-gauged the flywheel and can't retract.
I need to know the direction of the 5.4 so I can try to turn the crank with a breaker bar to check and see if it's an engine problem, or if it's the Bendix gear locked in the flywheel.
The starter is a pain to unbolt and I don't want to fool with it if the engine is locked up. If the engine turns, then I will go after the starter as the next link n the chain.
If anyone has some ideas that would help, I would surely appreciate it.

After thought:
Could it be a starter relay switch in the fuse box causing the problem.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:05 PM

Okay guys, I found the problem. It was the starter and it wasn't easy to unbolt either. I remover the wheel well to get at the two top bolts. Now I am looking for a replacement starter that won't break the bank and will last at least half as long as the first one. OEM lasted 18 years and 78000 miles..
Old 03-23-2017, 06:37 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

NAPA sells a decent starter. My experience is I sold them for over 10 years. They are put out by BBB industries and we had rarely seen them come back for warranty.

Glad you figured out your plight and we're happy to help, but you do know you posted in the wrong generation forum, right?
Old 03-23-2017, 02:20 PM

Default Still Have a start problem

Originally Posted by nrivera04
NAPA sells a decent starter. My experience is I sold them for over 10 years. They are put out by BBB industries and we had rarely seen them come back for warranty.

Glad you figured out your plight and we're happy to help, but you do know you posted in the wrong generation forum, right?

I didn't know I posted in the wrong area. Where should I have posted?

I thought I resolved the problem by replacing the starter which was bad and the battery which was bad too. I am beginning to think the problem in is electrical system. I was able to turn the crank with a 1/2 breaker bar without too much effort, so, I think the engine is OK.

After installing the rebuilt starter motor I hooked up the battery with jumper cables rather than to install it. The solenoid clicked and the engine started to turn over, but just for a split second, then nothing. The start system failed the same way it did when it went out the first time. I'm worried that I may have caused the original starter to fail by trying to start it. I also may have damaged the replacement starter by trying to start the engine. On the other hand, I may have purchased a bad starter motor, but I wouldn't think so.

Not sure where to look now. If I need to have it towed to Ford, I know they can't hook it up to there computer because it has a after market tune. Their screen goes blank. I tried it once when I had a bad coil.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Some guy

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,292 Posts

1999 truck belongs in the 1997-2003 forum. Moving...

Quick Reply: Starting problem of a 5.4