Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Simple wiring mods for Headlights/Fogs/Aux

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Default Simple wiring mods for Headlights/Fogs/Aux

Here are a few diagrams and info on how to wire a few things up.
You can combine almost any of these mods together.

First, you need to take your headlight switch/platform out.
See: https://www.f150forum.com/f6/how-use...ms-off-199905/

After you get the switch out, you will see two plugs in the back. These are what we will use for the mods.

The wiring schematics for the two plugs above, are the following:

For reference.
Larger plug

Smaller plug

CAUTION: Never wire a smaller wire to larger wire without a DIODE of appropriate size.
10amp diode.

Now for the mods:
1) Fogs come on with low-beams automatically
Simply, splice a wire from (pin #9 Red/Yellow) to (pin#5 Solid Yellow) on the larger plug using a 10amp diode. I suggest using a diode, but do at your own risk w/o one. *Don't do without a diode if your fog lamps come on without the heads* The red wire is the headlight output, so you dont want your yellow wire trying to power this when the lights are off. AKA: If your fogs are on and you don't have a diode in place, while your headlamps are off.... your fog light wiring is toast.

2) Fogs come on with parking lamps.
Simply, splice a wire from (pin #5 Yellow) on the larger plug to (pin #6 Blue/White) on the smaller plug.

The next two are a little more complicated and require either a diode or a relay(both are cheap and can be found at radio shack).

3) Fogs come on with low-beams automatically, but can be turned off via. pulling the ****(which usually turns them on).
Splice the red and yellow wires together by a diode (as done in (1))

This one is a little more complicated,
4) Fogs stay on until you open the door. Or if you did mod (2) both Fogs and parking lamps say on until door is opened.
This one is very complicated with 3 relays(SPDT), so if enough people want it, I will add it to the list.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM

5) Fog lights come on when you turn your key back, or in accessory mode and stay on until you open the door.
Splice into the Light green/Black wire (in your driver door its on your power windows plug) and run a wire to the yellow wire pin#5 on the smaller plug. Install a 10 amp diode with the cathode facing the yellow wire.

I used black wire to splice, and neatly ran it through the door.(zip ties)

Through the door (to lazy to find it under the dash)

Any questions about the mods, or combining mods.... Im sure another member or I, can help.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 PM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I really want to get on a couple of these. Very nice write up. Sorry to ask but you wouldnt happen to know which wire is the switched power wire for high beams would you?

Last edited by jprevat; 03-14-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by jprevat
I really want to get on a couple of these. Very nice write up. Sorry to ask but you wouldnt happen to know which wire is the switched power wire for high beams would you?
The safest way is to tap into the high beam turn on lead on the steering column. Turn on leads are simple and safer to deal with than "Full Power" leads.

What are you trying to do, and maybe I can help?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 PM

I wanted to find a safe way to wire my aux lights to come on with my high beams once I have my switch in the cab in the on position. I was thinking maybe wire the turn on for the switch into the high beam turn on? Would this be a safe setup if it were being used with fogs w/t parking light wiring mod?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 PM

I wanted to find a safe way to wire my aux lights to come on with my high beams once I have my switch in the cab in the on position. I was thinking maybe wire the turn on for the switch into the high beam turn on? Would this be a safe setup if it were being used with fogs w/t parking light wiring mod?
Make sure im thinking about this the way you are wanting.
1) You have the fogs/parking light mod.
2) You have Aux lights that are controlled by a switch in the cab.
This makes your fogs/parking lights on a different circuit from your high and low beams.

Now, Im assuming you have a relay for your aux lights, with the switch running to the turn on lead. If you take out the toggle switch and run that wire to the (high beam turn on) then yes it will work.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

good info

not a fan of tapping into factory harness though. thats just asking for electical touble.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 PM

Yes that would be correct in how I want it to run but I was hoping to keep the illuminated switch as a kind of indicator when they are on so I dont forget and run them through town and get pulled for them. If that makes any sense. I guess what I was looking for would be a two switch setup, one for the high beam switch so I can run the high beams without them, and the second switch to run the aux lights.

I just dont want the aux lights to run all the time with the highs if I can help it.

Im sorry for picking your brain like I am but thank you so much for helping me out with this.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pity7700
good info

not a fan of tapping into factory harness though. thats just asking for electical touble.
If done correctly, its safe.... However, anytime you are messing with a harness you can damage wiring if you do something in the wrong order or accidentally ground something.

Using the diodes and relays above, protect all circuits from overloads and reversing polarity, along with preventing reversed current.

But good note: This is do at your own risk mod. I am not responsible for any damages.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 AM

Yes that would be correct in how I want it to run but I was hoping to keep the illuminated switch as a kind of indicator when they are on so I dont forget and run them through town and get pulled for them. If that makes any sense. I guess what I was looking for would be a two switch setup, one for the high beam switch so I can run the high beams without them, and the second switch to run the aux lights.

I just dont want the aux lights to run all the time with the highs if I can help it.

Im sorry for picking your brain like I am but thank you so much for helping me out with this.
Simple, add the switch on the wire that is running from the High Beam turn on lead to the switched lead on the relay. As long as the switch is in between the two it will cut power.

Quick Reply: Simple wiring mods for Headlights/Fogs/Aux