Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Remote start questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Remote start questions

How hard is it to install this remote start kit:
http://tinyurl.com/4ye6x3v

I want to get a remote starter for winter, but dont want to pay to have it installed if I could do it myself.

I have a 2002 F150 XL, NO POWER locks/windows, only cruise control

Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on! Somebody has to know something??
Old 09-23-2011, 09:05 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

A lot of good info that you are looking for on the link that you provided. All you need to do is read it.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:19 PM
2015 F-150 3.5 ecoboost

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Well from what I read don't seem to be to hard and they have the help line number if u have any probs. Also wanna say thanks I been lookin for a remote start for mine. It the same yr and trim as ur and no power window/locks just curise. And it says it bypasses the theft thingy. Thanks. Again I'm not the best at installing stuff but this seems pretty easy and once I can get Money to get it I am goin give it a try.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:16 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Put all of my own remote starts in. Haven't had any problems yet but did work for ford 14 years. The hardest part is the PATS system. Theft key is the only thing I would be worried about. Programming the module can be a little tricky because where you tap in for a tach signal. The hotline numbers really don't help much. Put in one at the dealership. Always used astro start before and this was some start from target. Installed it and no go. Called hotline and no help. Threw that cheap starter in the garbage and installed an astro in 20 minutes. Cheaper is not better when it comes to remote starter kits.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like extra cheek chinese crap our trucks are some of the easiest vehicles to put starters in but I'd still suggest sending it to a pro and putting something reputable in like a viper or compustar. You'll need 2 keys to program the bypass if you don't have 2 you'll need a more expensive bypass but it's still doable
Old 09-24-2011, 05:08 AM
Bang bang!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me first say this. I managed a car audio/alarm shop for two years in Austin.

7 out of 10 people working at MOST shops who do remote starts are dumb.

Ok. With that out of the way. What I would suggest is not to install it yourself either. But since this is what you would like the do. Then I would suggest getting the right tools and equipment(crimpers, bell caps, t-taps, male and female connectors)..Usually for the connectors you can "bribe" some hourly to sell them to you from a car audio store.

The PATS system is where it's going to get tricky if you have never done it before. Even though the alarm company has a support line, they will not help you out with the PATS bypass part. And the PATS bypass part company with not help you out with the alarm part. SOOOO, even if you can figure out how to wire up the starter wire, accessory wire, constant wire, and various other options you can add on, you will be on your own with no experience for the most important part, getting the truck to remote start.

YOU WILL NEED TWO KEYS. Some PATS bypass's will allow you to program the code into the part, some will "eat a key", requiring you to leave a key in a box inside the dash.

On a scale of 1-10, a 97-03 F150 is a 5. Definitively not the hardest cars to do, but its not just a matter of throwing a few wires together.

Alarm brands I trust are Viper,Code alarm. And that's it. Anything else WILL give you problems, WILL stop working eventually(usually quicker than the brands I mentioned). The most common part to go bad first is the PATS bypass.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

A friend of mine is a Compustar installer and does it out of his house. He does great work and I haven't had a single problem with mine. I have the 1 mile, 2 way digital, remote start and alarm.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't get mad, just wanted to point this out:
August 2011
"At the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas, two security researchers have reportedly demonstrated how they could, using an Android-powered phone, steal password authentication messages to unlock and start the engine of a Subaru Outback crossover. It reportedly took just a few hours for them to break in.

Michael McHale, Subaru's director of corporate communications, wouldn't comment on whether this type of breach is possible, having not observed the claimed hack, but he said an attack like this could affect other brands.

"I don't think it's a Subaru situation," McHale said. "I think the same technology would work on most cars on the market."

Just be aware when you buy one that is not cheap junk or that at the least it is not easy to hack, that's all I'm saying.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a viper 5501 in my 99 F150 last month. Not to hard but it is time consuming. It is keyless entry and remote start. You just need to look up your wiring diagram and start splicing the wires. Make sure you put your antenna in a good spot or you will have terrible range. If you have some wiring skills you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Remote start questions