Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Rearview cameras

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Rearview cameras

I'm looking to add a rearview camera to my 99 and I'm curious if anybody has any suggestions for a quality camera. I found the after market camera that replaces the tailgate handle

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282603475948

Eventually I plan on doing a super duty tailgate, but I'm just looking for a cheaper option until I'm ready to spend that much.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 AM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...saAlSHEALw_wcB

I have one of these.
Way better than cheap$25 cam I tried first
Good image in dark, great in daylight
True field of view 170 degree
No leaks, no fogging
Aluminum housing

Theres lots of cheap cams out there. You cant trust them to be that good . First one i tried claimed 170 degrees.....maybe 125....maybe. poor resolution in day, nonexistent night view.

You can buy a tailgate handle for $6, and put cam on it

But having it off center is a little aggravating
Really needs to be on centerline of tailgate

I will move mine and paint to match eventually. Didnt want to drill hole in tailgate until knew camers was worth a darn. First cheap one i tried was not.

That wide field of view is necessity, is why you dont want a camera recessed like license plate, you lose it. Regardless of camera capability. Only decent place to put camera is on tailgate, up high. (Which is why thats where they come...duh). End of bumper to end of bumper view.

Of course some just want to look straight back at car behind them,. Not actually use for parking and backing up close to objects.

Last edited by mbb; 11-27-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,501 Posts

I installed a CrimeStopper SV-6819.EM camera in a new Doorman tailgate handle back in March. I have no complaints with the performance. (The night images are grainy, but usable.)

HERE is a link to the post in my build thread with pics and a description of the install.

My bet is that eBay seller is simply doing the same thing as I did, and then is selling them as a ready-to-install piece.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I put one of these in. Is it as good as factory? No.
Is it better than what I had, perfectly usable and easy to install? Yes
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-27-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

I but one for a 2010 f150 in my tail gate.
Attached Thumbnails Rearview cameras-tailgate-cammera.jpg  
Old 11-27-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I use the same camera on both my trucks as Granthol, and both are hooked up to their respective Android heads. The one in lil Red is attached to the back up lights and comes on when in reverse. Blue's camera is hooked direct, and all I have to do it hit the radio home button and it comes on. I'm not sure which I like best, but I'm leaning to the way Blue is hooked. This way I can flip it on and see what the guys license plate is behind me at least or If I'm going to be hit at an intersection. Anyway you use it, this camera has a great picture and is quite nice for hooking up my boat.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
I installed a CrimeStopper SV-6819.EM camera in a new Doorman tailgate handle back in March. I have no complaints with the performance. (The night images are grainy, but usable.)

HERE is a link to the post in my build thread with pics and a description of the install.

My bet is that eBay seller is simply doing the same thing as I did, and then is selling them as a ready-to-install piece.

That is a really clean looking setup. I think I might have to try that out.

I've got one of those licence plate cameras laying around, but I'm just not impressed with it
Old 11-28-2017, 01:23 AM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Originally Posted by Bell Blue Raider
That is a really clean looking setup. I think I might have to try that out
Thanks! It does blend in pretty well.

The camera mbb linked might work in place of the crimestopper unit, but I was concerned about the non-adjustability of a fixed mount like that one. Truth be told, though, mine is aimed just about as far down as it will go, anyway.

​​​​​​​Mine is powered off the reverse lights, but I may change it to constant power, and trigger just the head unit with the reverse signal. My Pioneer head allows viewing the camera with a button press when not in reverse.

Last edited by OhioLariat; 11-28-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 AM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Thanks! It does blend in pretty well.

The camera mbb linked might work in place of the crimestopper unit, but I was concerned about the non-adjustability of a fixed mount like that one. Truth be told, though, mine is aimed just about as far down as it will go, anyway.

​​​​​​​Mine is powered off the reverse lights, but I may change it to constant power, and trigger just the head unit with the reverse signal. My Pioneer head allows viewing the camera with a button press when not in reverse.
I like the adjustability of yours too.

Mounted on the handle, mine is just enough to see far enough back. Id prefer a tad more, i can see top of bumper pretty well.

Thats a problem for moving it, the handle is on a curved hump in tailgate. Below handle may point it downward a bit, needing to shim. The adjustable angle of yourssolves that...if no one bumps it i suppose. Ive contemplated foam angled shim/gasket for moving mine. Just make by sanding
Old 11-28-2017, 09:17 AM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Well, mbb, it looks like you've validated my concerns. As for knocking it out of whack, once i was happy with the alignment, I applied some hot-melt glue inside to secure its position.