Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Re-Gearing Front and Rear Diff

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re-Gearing Front and Rear Diff

I do have some mechanical knowledge however all the inner workings of a diff are not my specialty, which leads me to this question. In order to re-gear my truck I understand that I need a new Ring and Pinion gear set for both front and rear. Of course the front would be reverse geared. My question.... Is that all i need or is there more to it? I have never had a truck re-geared.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

You will need a master install kit for both the front and the rear. I have done them several times and they are not hard.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Do you know where to find the master install kits? I found a yukon "minor" install kit??? Also what gear manufacture would you recommend? Currently i am looking at Yukon gears.

Also I went to a shop to have someone look at doing the install and I was told re-gearing would mess with the shifts points in my truck and that I would have to get the truck re-programmed. I think the guy was just shooting me a load of BS to get out of doing it. Is he right or is he wrong like i think he is?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:01 PM

Yukon make good gears, but I was never happy with mine. Even setup perfect they still made noise. I then switched to Motive gears and set them up tighter than recommend by a few thousandths. After 30k miles they make no noise. I bought my master install kits from Randys ring and pinion.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the kits from summit racing online... it includes your seals and and bearings and what not... However.... There is not anything EASY about installing gears even if you ARE mechanically inclinded... Its not something you just read about and do.. You would atleast want somone there who knows what they are doing.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:30 PM

I am on Randy's Gear and Pinion and I may just be mis reading it but I still dont see the master install kit. There is a Master Overhaul Kit. Is that what y'all are referencing. I do appreciate the heads up of the difficulty of this job and trust me I will not be doing it by myself. My good friends dad has been a mechanic for about 30 years so I plan on using him alot during this. Does anyone have any answer about the shift point question I posted earlier? I think the mechanic was full of BS and I just want to make sure I'm right.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.summitracing.com/expertad...8-8-Rear-Axle/

You got me all nervous for you man so i started trying to find some stuff for ya but thats a pretty descent lil slide show and your going to need something on these lines for your install kit. I'm assumming you have a Ford 8.8 w/ 31 spline axles.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RAT-3008K/
Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 PM

I have a 8.8 in the front and a 9.75 in the back.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Seņor Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

To answer your reprogramming question, Yes.

You have to reprogram the computer to comprehend the new gear ratios. The shifting is effected, but I haven't noticed so much since I had my 4.88's installed.

The big deal is the speedo and odometer will be drastically off.

I have the Edge CS Programmer, works great. I have not changed the shift points, I've only changed the tire size and gear ratio settings. So, if the computer automatically changed the shift points...I wouldn't know cause I haven't noticed while driving.

To install your gears, definitely will need the air ratchet. That pinion gear nut is a monster to loosen and retighten.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:20 PM

If you have not programmed your truck for the larger tires, then with the right gears it will be almost stock.

Quick Reply: Re-Gearing Front and Rear Diff