Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Pulling 5.4 with transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Pulling 5.4 with transmission

Has anyone ever pulled a 5.4 with the transmission still attached? I'm in the middle of pulling my stick motor and transmission a device I can't get the dam torque converter nuts off. Not a single one. I already have everything else pulled, engine is down to the heads, wiring harness is off, radiator is Removed, exhaust system is completely gone, pretty much everything. I also have a body lift so that gives me 3 more inches of clearance. So is it possible to pull the engine with the 4r70w still attached?
Old 05-22-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You might be able to pull it complete if you have the overhead clearance and enough cherry picker height to do it together.

I've got another idea.

Since it is loose from the bellhousing, why not slightly raised the front of the transmission, and pull the engine with the converter attached and leave the trans in place. You can rotate the engine from the front if the converter should hang in the pump.

I've had to do that before on a Gen 8 and that was the only way that could be done in that particular truck. You need to replace the front pump seal anyways, so if you damage it, no problem. Just a thought.

Last edited by akdoggie; 05-22-2017 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by akdoggie
You might be able to pull it complete if you have the overhead clearance and enough cherry picker height to do it together.

I've got another idea.

Since it is loose from the bellhousing, why not slightly raised the front of the transmission, and pull the engine with the converter attached and leave the trans in place. You can rotate the engine from the front if the converter should hang in the pump.

I've had to do that before on a Gen 8 and that was the only way that could be done in that particular truck. You need to replace the front pump seal anyways, so if you damage it, no problem. Just a thought.
That is probably the way it's gonna have to get done. Thanks