Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

PLEASE HELP!! transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PLEASE HELP!! transmission issue

i have a 1998 ford F150 i bought truck for 100.00 and it needed a transmission the person i bought it from was trying to replace the tranny, but in the process he rounded off one of the torque converter bolts. so my question is can i just leave the torque converter attached to the flywheel, and pull the tranny. then work on removing the rounded off bolt??? if you have any ideas and want to share that would be great, thanks a ton, Harp!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 PM

you should but can you not just get a pair of vice grips and i mean a good pair not somthing that the teeth have been almost rouned off on that bolt maybe and get it out. as for leaving the torq up there you should be able to just require you slide the tranny straigh back probly 4-6 inches to get it off. a problem with that would be the bell housing may not clear the underside of the truck that far back though. I honstly think it would be easer to figuer out a way to get ahold of that bolt or cut it some how. another possiblity would be a sawsaz with a good metel blade possible might cut through that bolt just take some time.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Ford Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is possible to pull the trans with th etorque converter still on it will just take alot of pulling and wiggling to get it out. I am not positive that you will be able to clear the bell housing but I think that you will. Just my .02
Old 04-09-2011, 02:41 AM

sweet thanks yall were right, it took some major wiggling and pushing around, but i got it. the only problem that i had after the trans was free from torque converter was the tail pipe cross member was in the way, i had to drop that after it was all said and done took about 2 hours not that bad. so now the question is do i rebuild it just go with a junk yard???
Old 04-09-2011, 06:37 AM

I doudt you'll ever get it back in without getting the converter off. If you do I'm positive the front seal will be destroyed and leak like hell. You got a hell of a deal on the thing though. It's worth $400 in scrap weight. Wish I could find a deal like that.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Maniac Mechanic

you need to remove the torque converter if not you will blow up the front pump and rip the seal. They sell a stripped bolt removal tool. basicly its a left-hand threaded extractor.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:30 PM

x2nd the posts above even if you mange to get the tranny back on you will more than likly screw your front seal and leak like a civ. you need to figure out how to get that bolt off. as a last resort to get it off you could possible get a pry bar between the torq and the flywheel and pry them apart far enough to alow them to seperate and twist the torq down then you could get to the flywheele bolts and just remove the whole the thing. but that will probly trash both the torq and flywheel so that would be a last resort if you can find no other way to get that bolt loose.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:35 AM

yeah i think that i got one hell of a deal, the guy told me that he was tired of trying to get the tranny out, but i have been working all day to get that darn bolt out no progress, unless you consider the shaves of metal coming off every time i try to turn it with pair vice grips progress lol. i am hoping that it will eventually either break or grab and come on off.

i had another friend tell me to tac weld a socket on the bolt and try it that way. do yall think that is a good idea???
Old 04-10-2011, 08:40 AM

You could try the welded socket, at least you'll be able to get a good bite unlike the vicegrips.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get some cheap impact rated sockets from harbor freight. Find one that's just too small to fit and pound it on with a hammer. That should bite and turn the bolt. If that doesn't work, then try welding a socket to it. Don't try to install the trans with the converter up there. It will destroy both.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP!! transmission issue