Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Please freaking help me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please freaking help me!

I'm a girl....yet I know more than the average chick about vehicles....I keep seeing these threads that talk about the same problem I'm experiencing...but no one seems to say what they discovered was the problem and how they fixed it? PLEASE HELP ME! Ok....here's what I have been going through with my 2000 5.4 f150....my first mistake....i let my dipstick bf borrow my truck one day and he overfilled her with oil....the next day I check the oil and it's halfway up the dipstick! I take her to jiffy lube...my second mistake...and ask them to do an oil change to get the levels back to normal...on the drive home I start to overheat! I pull over and look in the reservoir...to find that it's empty! One of the services of a jiffy lube oil change is to check that all your fluids are proper! So I'm pissed! I call and argue with the reject manager and after calling corporate they agree to bring her in for a full rad flush for their oversight....third mistake....taking my vehicle back to these A!!holes...they flush it and now everyday since....I'm losing coolant like its going out of style....no leaks or wet spots on the ground...I'm sure it's burning out from somewhere...although not a ton of white smoke from the exhaust so it's weird....also the other big problem is even after sitting all night...I drive my son to school. In the morning which is less than a mile away and halfway there my heater runs cold air ....suddenly i will hear this wwwhhhooooo sound and then the temp gauge goes up to a hair away from the H...then the air will change from cold to Luke warm and then the needle will drop rapidly down to the middle between c and h....????mso freaking confused....service engine light is on....she is also running very sluggishly probably due to the o2 sensor coming up on the code thingy and also code for cylindr 1 misfire is coming up too....I have changed all spark plugs as well as coil pack on cylinder 1.....i have also flushed my heater core....someone told me yesterday it sounds like I have an air lock in my cooling system and had me park on a hill and add water to reservoir until it bubbled and gurgled...it bubbled and gurgled but it did the same damn overheating scenario I explained above again! It's so strange....it almost seems to me like something is getting lodged somewhere and then finally blowing thru as the needle then drops? Does anyone know why there is a smaller oraface thing in the hose of the heater core? Could something be getting stuck in there? Can I safely take that thing out of there? Really need help here...I realize I may have blown head gaskets....but it seems like there is another problem here...wld the bad heads alone cause this overheating weird thing to be happening? I don't see how? Also can you lose coolant from an air lock? Seems the only way to lose coolant other than a leak is the head gaskets...ok I'm rambling now but if you comment here also let me know if you have known any our in head gasket sealer to work...and what brand...blue devil...bars...k and m...etc...thank you in advance for any info you can give me! One last thing...if you search overheating you will find a thread from a member named shifty who seemed to have the same problem...never did say what really fixed it....it just randomly seemed to stop after he got a new rad...? HELP!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Sounds like a blown head gasket. Same symptoms I had.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 PM

Did you ever try those pour in sealants? If o what's a good brand to use?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 AM

i hate to say it but looks like u need to take it to a shop an have it looked at i have never had that problem i did blow a head gasket on a 280z back in the day an it would run hot untill u started going is yer oil milky water getten into the iol will make it milky sorry yer haven so many problems an i know shops charge big time moneys
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

If it keeps running hot and you have no leaks you may want to check your water pump!! The oil issue seems to be logical for a head gasket, but without the proper internal engine temperature(helped out by the pump and radiator) it will devour oil just like gas. Simple physics of an internal combustion enginge. If one part isn't working nothing works properly.

I would take it to a shop, get them to check the pressure on the pump. You can also put your hand on the radiator hose, if its hot, more than likely its working and pumping coolant. If its cool to the touch, your coolant system is down.

If that isnt the issue, looking around the manifold and or plugs to check for oil leaks. If you see any abnormal oil or mushy spots, you probably have a blown gasket or someone over torqued a plug.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd change your thermostat first, sounds like a sticky thermostat or blown head gasket. Is the waterpump making grinding or squeaky noises?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, sounds like a hell of a trip to the shop. One problem lead to another it sounds like. Waterpump may have seased up. thermostat may be sticking. That would be the cheep way out. I hope its not the head gasket or manifold, if you plug keeps going out it could have the seals in the head out. Best of luck with it and i hope you get her running right. Oh yeah, Welcome to the site.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts

Your head is gasket blown or you have a hole in the water jacket. Your losing your coolant into the motor and since its mostly water its turning into steam, hence the white smoke out your tail pipe. You need to take the truck into a shop before you cause serious damage. The misfire and codes your getting is also due to the fact you have a lot of water in system. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Shaggy1970; 05-01-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:31 AM

Default Thanks for the post fellas but...

Does anyone have any I deals about the over heating? I did replace thermostat....still heating up the heater in can turns from cold to warm and needle on temp gauge goes down? If water pump was bad wld this happen? Upper rad hose is hard....? Help?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by JewelMarie
Does anyone have any I deals about the over heating? I did replace thermostat....still heating up the heater in can turns from cold to warm and needle on temp gauge goes down? If water pump was bad wld this happen? Upper rad hose is hard....? Help?
it definitely sounds like a bad head gasket, which would cause the CEL to come on for the O2 sensor because its turning the water(H20) into hydrogen and oxygen particles, which in turn, shows the ECM extra oxygen in the exhaust, which means it thinks its running lean so it dumps in extra fuel and its unable to burn it all..now for the overheating, a bad head gasket is going to drain the coolant into the motor and burn it, so your coolant level will be constatly dropping causing the motor not to get enough coolant to efficiently keep the motor cool, and with the low coolant level, the whoosing sound you are hearing could be from when the thermostat opens and the pump sucks in air because there is not enough coolant in the radiator.

Quick Reply: Please freaking help me!