Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

PCV Valve Hose Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Valve Hose Replacement Help

Hey all,
Noob here again. I cracked my PCV hose when I was fighting with re-threading spark plug. I have the part coming soon, but it's not clear to me how to remove the existing hose in particular in the blue circled area in the following picture. Do I need to get the throttle body off to get at this or is there some trick to getting this off? I can feel it with my hand I just don't know the trick to getting it out. I assume install is as easy as popping it back in? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to close on this I ended up taking the throttle body off and changing the gasket while I was in there. I could not for the life of me get that off without taking the throttle body off, what a pain.

As an aside, not afraid to embarrass myself I also dropped an extension and socket when I was attempting to loosen the back right bolt on the TB. It's gone, I think it's under the intake manifold or something because I never heard it hit the ground. No idea if it's ok to drive with it in there but if I have to go and find it looks like I'll have to go back in there and take the intake manifold off. I'll replace those gaskets while I'm in there as well.

Don't think I'm cut out for wrenching clearly
Old 09-25-2018, 10:22 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Hey, you're making the attempts, and learning as you go. That's how a lot of us have reached the level of expert... uh... skill.... umm ability we have.
If the extension fell down into the valley under the intake, it can live there without any detrimental effects, but maybe you could fish it out with a magnetic wand? (I sure wouldn't pull the intake just to get it out.)
Old 09-26-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

Nahh... dont be too hard on yourself- i think i was born with the dropsies- ( ive had a life time of retrieval adventures!!)- (YGBSM should be on a plaque in my garage!!!)- dont give up, keep pushing, there is nothing like the frusration at times, but there is nothing like the satisfaction of pushing through and getting a job well done.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a magnetic pickup tool to search for your lost tool, I've used it many times to retrieved lost bolts and tools...
Originally Posted by chreeg11
Just to close on this I ended up taking the throttle body off and changing the gasket while I was in there. I could not for the life of me get that off without taking the throttle body off, what a pain.

As an aside, not afraid to embarrass myself I also dropped an extension and socket when I was attempting to loosen the back right bolt on the TB. It's gone, I think it's under the intake manifold or something because I never heard it hit the ground. No idea if it's ok to drive with it in there but if I have to go and find it looks like I'll have to go back in there and take the intake manifold off. I'll replace those gaskets while I'm in there as well.

Don't think I'm cut out for wrenching clearly

Old 09-30-2018, 08:08 AM
mbb

Received 894 Likes on 735 Posts

Well it should just pull off, sonetines hard because no room to work.

Fuel hose replaces that $60 piece for a couple dollars . Some standard dorman vac hose elbows replace the pcv elbow too.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:46 AM

Received 5,550 Likes on 4,627 Posts

Originally Posted by mbb
Well it should just pull off, sonetines hard because no room to work.

Fuel hose replaces that $60 piece for a couple dollars . Some standard dorman vac hose elbows replace the pcv elbow too.
They can stick pretty good, tearing the inside of the hose by time you get it off. They can glue themselves to the connection over time.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 6,473 Likes on 4,610 Posts

If you use hose coming off the reel at the parts house, be sure it's spec'd for vacuum. Fuel line will collapse under vacuum over time.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
If you use hose coming off the reel at the parts house, be sure it's spec'd for vacuum. Fuel line will collapse under vacuum over time.
But vacuum line will succumb to the oil and become mush over time, so.....

Old 10-01-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 6,473 Likes on 4,610 Posts

Do these things really get that much oil up there?

Quick Reply: PCV Valve Hose Replacement Help