Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Paint job

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Paint job

As some of you know, I have spent the better part of the last year doing maintenance on my truck. She is running fantastic.

One of the things that irritates me is that the clear coat is coming off of the roof, hood, both front fenders, and mirrors.

I got a quote on touching up just those spots and it was $1200. The guy actually recommended going to MACO and getting the whole truck painted for around that price.

What do you think is a fair price to repaint? I'm sure MACO is not the gold standard. I'm not seeking a color change or anything, just a touch up of the areas that look rough.

Has anyone on the forum gotten a paint job?
Old 07-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Driving the wheels offer

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

i would youtube it if it were me - some guys get amazing results with spray bombs
Old 07-26-2019, 08:18 PM
GO SOX!

Received 92 Likes on 86 Posts

I went the Econo route. I wasn't looking for a $2,000 paint job on it. I may in the future but just wanted it to look better than it did. Oxford white had its issues with fading and peeling. I spent about $750 on the Econo job. All they do is mask and spray. You need to do any prep and take off anything you don't want over spray to hit. It's held up fairly decent over the 2ish years since having it done.

This is a couple days after I picked it up.

The following users liked this post:
akdoggie (07-26-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:58 AM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,349 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Maaco is more about the individual shop than the corporate logo, since they're all franchised. There were a few Maaco shops in the area when my friend had his car done. He went to each of them, talked to the owners, and got references. The car turned out well, albeit with some orange peel. That was 20-ish years ago, though. Since, I've actually seen some *very* nice jobs come out form under a Maaco sign. It's all in the skill level and care of the painter(s) working there.

I'd suggest you interview the local shop(s), and if you feel comfortable, then as Mandingo says, prep everything you can, remove *anything* you don't want to end up body color (I saw a car with blue fog lights and body reflectors once), and set your expectations such that you can say "It looks better than I could have done."

The following users liked this post:
JCH841 (08-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Paint job