Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

one click when turn key and everything dims.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one click when turn key and everything dims.

just got new battery, clicks once and everything dims but all lights etc work fine before
Old 10-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Driving the wheels offer

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

new batteries don't always come off the shelf fully charged
Old 10-27-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 5,676 Likes on 4,733 Posts

Yep, check the charge. The cheaper batteries should be between 12.5 and 12.6 volts off the shelf.

A little about batteries, -

The only good batteries today are the Odysseys. There use to be a few, the Motorcraft use to be one of the best, that was long ago. Interstate was a good name for a cheap battery, but they've gone down hill as well. This is all old news more or less for those following the changeovers and buy outs. Odysseys which is Sears Die Hard Platinum or use to be....yea, I think that's no more as well. Going with Odyssey, you sure get a 10 year battery today. At least someone out there are still making these. They cost more, worth it if you plan on hanging onto the vehicle for awhile. The Odyssey in the 98 150 which is labeled Sears DHP is dated 09, noticed the date just the other day lol. Still going strong.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by phillydon
just got new battery, clicks once and everything dims but all lights etc work fine before
My money is on the starter solenoid, tap it lightly with a hammer and it’ll start
Old 10-27-2018, 08:01 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,349 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Originally Posted by FjordsFords
My money is on the starter solenoid, tap it lightly with a hammer and it’ll might start
The solenoid likely working, hence the one click. If the starter is not turning, it will draw excess current, and dim the lights, etc. If tapping the starter with a hammer works, it could keep working for months, or it could leave you that way again tomorrow. My suggestion: If it works, and you can risk it happening again anywhere you may be, then great. Run it. If it happens again, find a local shop to rebuild it rather than buying a remanned unit.

HOWEVER - As mentioned above, first check the battery voltage, and charge it if it reads anything below 12.6 VDC.

EDIT: Brew: Keep in mind there are several "levels" of Interstate batteries, including the ones you can buy at Costco (with *are* the cheapies). Unless they've made some big changes since I worked there (2 years ago), I'd put the higher-level Interstates up against most anything on the market.

Last edited by OhioLariat; 10-27-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:08 AM

Received 5,676 Likes on 4,733 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
The solenoid likely working, hence the one click. If the starter is not turning, it will draw excess current, and dim the lights, etc. If tapping the starter with a hammer works, it could keep working for months, or it could leave you that way again tomorrow. My suggestion: If it works, and you can risk it happening again anywhere you may be, then great. Run it. If it happens again, find a local shop to rebuild it rather than buying a remanned unit.

HOWEVER - As mentioned above, first check the battery voltage, and charge it if it reads anything below 12.6 VDC.

EDIT: Brew: Keep in mind there are several "levels" of Interstate batteries, including the ones you can buy at Costco (with *are* the cheapies). Unless they've made some big changes since I worked there (2 years ago), I'd put the higher-level Interstates up against most anything on the market.
If you want to loose...and loose bad. Show me their 10 year average life cycle model.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:48 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Load Test the Battery First

First step - load test the battery. If you or your neighbors do not have a load tester, they'll do that free at where you bought the battery.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:01 AM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

Double check all your battery/ solenoid/ground connections- especially the grounds.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:47 AM

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLariat

Thanks for “schooling” me but I had the exact same thing happen to me in my 98 w/ a 5.4. Tapped on the starter solenoid and it fired right up. I guess we’ll have to wait and see what it turned out to be. Hey OP any luck?
Old 10-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,349 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Originally Posted by FjordsFords

Thanks for “schooling” me but I had the exact same thing happen to me in my 98 w/ a 5.4. Tapped on the starter solenoid and it fired right up. I guess we’ll have to wait and see what it turned out to be. Hey OP any luck?
I'll bet you a glazed donut your lights weren't dimming, though.

Quick Reply: one click when turn key and everything dims.