Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

new (to me) truck new problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new (to me) truck new problems.

so i lucked (i think) into a 2001 f150 super crew, 115,000 one adult owner miles at a crazy low price due to some problems i was hoping i could fix cheap. the simple problems being rusted rocker panels and 1ft section of frame that is being done very soon.

the bigger problem is it has a hell of a miss, it just stutters when you give it gas, has no power and takes forever to build up speed, when my uncle hooked a code reader up to it he said the only codes that came back indicated misfiring on 2 cylinders. as it warms up it will stall when you stop at redlights or signs. it made the 35+ mile trip home getting about 8mpg.

i bought new plugs and boots on the way home and am going for a haynes manual and code reader in the morning. a buddy who looked under the hood mentioned that there is some liquid around the plenum and that it may be a leaky gasket or cracked plenum.

i priced the plenum new and was shocked at about $300 but my uncle says i should be able to find a used one at a junk yard for about $50 and says its an easy fix and i should have no problem doing it myself even though i have never worked on my own vehicles before.

also as stupid as it sounds my dad put a dollar bill up to the tail pipe and said its good that it blows out and doesnt try to suck the bill in when it misses. dunno how he came to that conclusion.

would love to hear some thoughts on this. tips would be great but go easy on me with the abbreviations, i searched around the forums for a bit but couldnt understand anything with all the abbreviations of parts.

ill get some photos in the next day or 2.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFNG
so i lucked (i think) into a 2001 f150 super crew, 115,000 one adult owner miles at a crazy low price due to some problems i was hoping i could fix cheap. the simple problems being rusted rocker panels and 1ft section of frame that is being done very soon.

the bigger problem is it has a hell of a miss, it just stutters when you give it gas, has no power and takes forever to build up speed, when my uncle hooked a code reader up to it he said the only codes that came back indicated misfiring on 2 cylinders. as it warms up it will stall when you stop at redlights or signs. it made the 35+ mile trip home getting about 8mpg.

i bought new plugs and boots on the way home and am going for a haynes manual and code reader in the morning. a buddy who looked under the hood mentioned that there is some liquid around the plenum and that it may be a leaky gasket or cracked plenum.

i priced the plenum new and was shocked at about $300 but my uncle says i should be able to find a used one at a junk yard for about $50 and says its an easy fix and i should have no problem doing it myself even though i have never worked on my own vehicles before.

also as stupid as it sounds my dad put a dollar bill up to the tail pipe and said its good that it blows out and doesnt try to suck the bill in when it misses. dunno how he came to that conclusion.

would love to hear some thoughts on this. tips would be great but go easy on me with the abbreviations, i searched around the forums for a bit but couldnt understand anything with all the abbreviations of parts.

ill get some photos in the next day or 2.

plugs and new boots are a good idea for sure. i would start there see if that does the trick.

never heard the dollar bill trick before lol.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 AM

guess i forgot to mention the price.....

$600
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2012, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheFNG
guess i forgot to mention the price.....

$600
Either way at that price if you put a new motor in it you are still right side up. Great deal!!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:35 AM

yea but i highly doubt it would be anything serious. there are no scratches in the bed liner and no hitch receiver or tow ball so it doesnt look like he was towing or hauling much with it and he didnt look like the type to go spinning tires or racing around. reminded me of my geography teacher from high school lol i think all together i can have it up and running with frame rust, fresh inspection and everything for under $600. so i'd have a nice truck for 1200. they gave us **** at the notary when we said it was sold for $600 and the notary guy tried saying it was coming up in the computer as being valued at $10,900 by the state so we had to fill out some extra form to explain why it was so much less than their assessed value.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Pity7700
plugs and new boots are a good idea for sure. i would start there see if that does the trick.

never heard the dollar bill trick before lol.
Probably needs coils too.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Rockers are about $1200 per side by a body shop. Sounds like you have $2k - $3k to invest to get it running and looking good, so for under $4,000 you have a $10,000 truck. Good score!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 PM

luckily i can get the panels and do them at home with the help of a buddy for a couple hundred at most.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:45 PM

More than likely the miss and dying is the coils whichever cylinder is misfiring in these trucks is usually coil
Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 PM

just hooked it up to the scanner and it only threw 2 codes, 301 and 302 which the book that came with the reader says is cylinder 1 and 2 misfire detected.

i sprayed starting fluid around the area of the plenum while it was running to see if it would rev up but it didnt. so im assuming the plenum isnt my problem? unless i did it wrong. engine was just started and not warmed up.

hoping to get time to change the plugs and boots asap but im having trouble finding time. i think if im back by the parts store by the time i get to changing them out i may pick up the coil too since they said it was only $40 and some change anyway and will eliminate another possible cause of the problem.

Quick Reply: new (to me) truck new problems.