Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

New intake, new problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New intake, new problem

Just replaced intake manifold on my 03 5.4 with the Dorman 615-188. After 3 days the gasket on the passenger side at the rear of the engine started to pour out coolant. It looks like the gasket has partially come out from between the intake manifold and cylinder head. Anyone have any idea why? I followed the instructions, following torque sequence in two steps and finishing at 18 ft-lbs. Any advice would be appreciated before I start this project all over again.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Dorman intakes are junk. Your better off with a Ford unit. Dorman units may look exactly like the original, but air flow in them are terrible and from most people that I know that have used them, they say that they noticed a big loss of power as well and ended up getting an OEM one instead. Also with a new OEM unit, you will get the updated version where they may have changed the type of gasket material or maybe improved air flow.

Dorman parts are cheap for a reason.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I guess I can see that now. I went with the Dorman after reading all the reviews about the rubber gaskets being better than oe that so commonly fail on these and with the lifetime warranty I thought I couldn't go wrong

Quick Reply: New intake, new problem