Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Gasket questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 05:34 PM
The Bear

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Gasket questions.

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted, life and all.

Okay, the mechanic I used to use, I stress used to, looked at the oil leak I have and says it is the head gasket. Wouldn't I be losing coolant if my head gasket was leaking? It would be mixing with my oil right? Another mechanic told me he thinks it's the rear main seal. That makes more sense because I can see oil drops dripping from the rear if the motor. I also wonder if it is my passenger valve cover as the oil hits the exhaustanifold on that side and creates smoke while the motor is hot.

Can anyone shoot me steait on the head gasket thing? Can a head gasket leak toward the rear and not cause a coolant/oil issue? I've never heard that.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Any one of the three could be. If it is leaking from the right rear valve cover area, that would be common. New gaskets will seal it the next number of years. The rear main is possible, but requires trans or engine removal to replace. Not as common as the valve cover. Lastly, head gasket. Yes it could be that also. It doesn't necessarily have to leak into the cylinders, it can leak from the outer surfaces also. Rear leak isn't uncommon on the right rear.

That said, I'd check the valve cover gasket first, since it is the easiest and the cheapest repair.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:56 PM
The Bear

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Thank you, I'll check it first.

Quick Reply: Gasket questions.