Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!

I have a 2001 f150 5.4L V8. Suddenly wouldn't start. Tried jumping it no good. Had battery checked and it was bad so bought new one. Still wouldn't start. Starter turns but acts like not getting enough power. Replaced battery terminals then battery cables still doing same thing. Someone suggested pounding on starter with hammer but didn't help. Could it be bad starter? I thought when those go out they just stop working. Plus everyone knows how much fun getting a starter off on one of these is.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have fuel pressure?

Have someone turn the key forward to the run position without starting the truck while you listen near the gas tank. You should hear the fuel pump come on.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkDiggler87
Do you have fuel pressure?

Have someone turn the key forward to the run position without starting the truck while you listen near the gas tank. You should hear the fuel pump come on.
Just to clarify, the fuel pump will only run for a couple of seconds when the ignition switch is turned to Run to prime the fuel rails, then is turned off.
The pump will be turned on again when Start is selected and the PCM sees the crankshaft turning.
Pounding on the starter is trying to jar loose the solenoid linkage that is pulling the starter gear into the ring gear.
This won't help with a starter that isn't "getting enough power".
Have you checked the power cable at the solenoid end?
Have you checked the starter relay?
I don't see the starter relay listed in the Owner's Manual I found online.
It's on connector C2163 of the CJB in our 2002 & 2003.
The starter can act up at times instead of just stop working and usually keeps getting worse.
With the starter out you can jumper it to the battery to see if works smoothly.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:16 PM

Received 1,118 Likes on 911 Posts

Way to go and good write up, follow up. I’d never heard of that part or problem.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:03 PM

Hello all.

I am having this same problem, i.e. no power to the starter relay and I would like to ask for your help please?

I tried jumping the plug for the transmission range sensor with no luck, all the possible groundings are good and all fuses are good to go but still nothing.

What could possibly be wrong and what else should I be searching for?
Old 04-15-2024, 04:27 PM

Received 187 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl1515
Hello all.

I am having this same problem, i.e. no power to the starter relay and I would like to ask for your help please?

I tried jumping the plug for the transmission range sensor with no luck, all the possible groundings are good and all fuses are good to go but still nothing.

What could possibly be wrong and what else should I be searching for?
What are you driving? What engine? Might help you here getting any help.
Old Today, 04:33 AM

Hey Big Ed.

My apologies. I drive a 2004 Ford F150 Lariat with the 5.4l 3V engine and it is 4wd.

Now I also have a these two trouble codes P1820 and P1828 "Transmission transfer case high to low shift relay coil circuit failure"

Is it possible that these circuit failures may cause power to be lost to the starter relay in the central junction box?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Need help!