Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Miles to kilometers flip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Miles to kilometers flip?

2001 F150 Lariat Super Crew Cab Styleside.

The truck digital odometer appears to have switched over to showing Kilometers instead of miles. I have been researching the problem for a time.

It shows 305xxx on the odo. The owner swears it was under 200xxx then for some reason went to the current value. (Yeah, I know, but it does not seem to be 300,000+) Converting to miles would be 189xxx. So, it seems the IC (instrument cluster) somehow got switched to kilo's. Previous owner does not know of anything done to convert, no IC or EEC change.

I would hazard a guess some strange button combination or electrical signal caused the flip but I cannot find any info on such action to effect that change. Does anyone know of any such procedure. I can get into the IC test mode but cannot make any changes. It does have the overhead temp+ display.

I have a Super SBB2 programmer on order but it will be some time before the boat comes in. I do not know if it will be able to work with the F150, we'll see. Anyone use one?

I will be working with FORscan as well to see if it can change it.

Other thoughts?
Old 03-15-2018, 04:09 PM

Received 6,481 Likes on 4,617 Posts

As I recall, you can press and hold the trip/reset button and toggle through a menu to change it. You MAY have to push the button in with the ignition key in the off position, and continue holding as you move the key to run, however.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:50 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
As I recall, you can press and hold the trip/reset button and toggle through a menu to change it. You MAY have to push the button in with the ignition key in the off position, and continue holding as you move the key to run, however.
Correct, hold the trip/reset button in, then you can turn the key to acc or start the truck... keep holding until "test" pops up and then you can cycle thru everything... that would be where you could the odometer measurement if it's possible.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:53 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Also have you measured to actually make sure it's in km? Hop on the interstate and use the mile markers to help you measure.... or drive 60mph for one minute and see if your odo goes up by one mile or use your gps/maps. Lots of ways to confirm what your odo is actually displaying.
Edit* everything I've read so far is saying if your speedo is mph not km then your odo should not be showing km at all.

What's the title say? Any mileage discrepancy notes on it?

Last edited by fordguy2100; 03-16-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Miles to kilometers flip?