Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

I need help with motor swap!!! HELP!!! PLEASE

Old 08-02-2014, 12:16 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy I need help with motor swap!!! HELP!!! PLEASE

I purchased a reman from AER and am having local race shop do the swap. I'm helping to offset the price since I'm a little helpfull and owner is cool. I have replaced the coil packs, egr pipe, exaust manifolds, ac pump, power steering pump, water pump, power steering lines, spark plugs, cam sensor, crankcase sensor, belt, and all hoses. This damm truck will not idle. It sputters, back fires and will not idle at all. We checked all the connections, cleaned all plugs since I power washed the underhood before putting motor back in. It seems like the timing is way retarded. We connected tuner and tried running performance, towing and Econ tunes, Still idles like ****!!! If you give it throttle is gets better but will not idle when you release it. We did compression test and all cylinders and have same numbers as when motor shipped.

It is 4.6 Wcode in 2001 supercrew 2wd

Anyone have any idea? heard similar problem? This truck drove into shop with no issue except rod knock. Now it's undrivable.

Its worth putting the money into it

Last edited by Bubba302; 08-02-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:43 AM

It is giving no error codes as well.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:34 AM

Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Where is the Hose in the Intake Connected?

Are you sure the Coil Pack and Spark Plug Wires are installed Correctly? Unlike old Engine that has a Distributor, the Engine will not Start if the Spark Plug Wire was installed incorrectly. On a Distributor-less Ignition System if the Spark Plug Wire are Installed incorrectly the engine can still starts but it's backfiring. Modern Engine is firing 2 Cylinder at the same time when starting and to reach operating temp faster.

You should be more SCARED buying a nice looking trucks with shiny paint, new upholstery, big wheels, detailed engine because most of them are submerged in flood. Just look at the oxidation and corrosion on the clamp, electrical connector, Starter Relay Terminal, etc.

Dude Drop the Tranny Pan and Differential cover. Inspect how bad was this vehicle submerged before doing any repair. Don't PANIC it can be easily repaired but it takes a lot of time.

Spray a Water with baking soda to neutralize the acid.

Last edited by w0lvez; 08-02-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:39 AM

Received 5,525 Likes on 4,610 Posts

You don't have Coil packs or Plug wires on that 4six so know worries there.

Did you by chance get the coils wet (COP system coils). Yea, coil packs run a pack of cylinders, - 4 if you had them on that engine, - but you don't. You have the COP system, = 1 dedicated coil per plug. They don't run in packs.

With idle being that way, - suck test the EGR valve. What's the warm idle run at about ? Can you tell which rpm it's trying to rest at?
Old 08-02-2014, 02:42 AM

I assume this vehicle was not submerged deeply because the previous owner tried starting it. It hydrolock will starting causing the Rod to bend. You also need to replace the wiring harness and PCM.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:50 AM

I have owned truck for 2 1/2 years, I put all upgrades on it, it was not in flood.
Truck was keyed last year that's why new paint.

How do you suck test egr? I can post in morning what idle rpm is. It has not run long enough to get hot yet. We have not even broke in motor yet.

The engine noise started in old motor in April, before that it was perfect.

Last edited by Bubba302; 08-02-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
You don't have Coil packs or Plug wires on that 4six so know worries there.
Yeah, your right. I haven't notice that since he said he replace the coil pack. Look how bad the rust, corrosion & oxidation on the Brake Booster Stud & Nut, Hose Clamps, Master Cylinder Front & Rear Fittings, Starter Relay, etc.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:47 AM

This truck has been in family since new. Was never flooded.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bubba302
This truck has been in family since new. Was never flooded.
Ok, if you say so. Try Disconnecting the MAF Sensor and start the engine. Ay changes the way it idles?

Inspect the 2 huge bolted electrical connector. Is there any Rust or Corrosion on the terminal?

Try switching the fuel pump and ignition system off. Crank the engine and see if the rod noise can be heard.

Buy a Vacuum Gauge to easily know what's causing the problem.

I help my cousin fixing his flooded vehicle several years ago. It almost look the same. After that I bought 5 flooded vehicles and sell it to my cousin with buy & sell business. Did you pressure wash it without removing the battery?

Last edited by w0lvez; 08-02-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:14 AM

I didnt remove battery but it was disconnected. The motor is new does not have rod issue. All connectors have been checked and cleaned and greased with dielectric.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need help with motor swap!!! HELP!!! PLEASE