Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Fuel Pump Installation ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Pump Installation ????

I have a 2003 Supercrew. I installed a new fuel pump on it a couple days ago. When taking off the old fuel pump I did not note where the two fuel lines hooked up. So when installing the new one I had to guess what port to attach the two fuel lines two.

Does it matter which fuel line is attached to which port? And if I it matters and I installed them backwards what would the effect be on how the truck runs?

After installing the new fuel pump the truck started right up. Then I drove it around and truck ran fine. When going to work later that afternoon noting diving in 107. The trip to work is about 35 miles. About half way there the AC quit blowing cold air. This is not the first time this has happened. It had done it previously when the truck was misfiring and the computer had shut down the ac. But the truck had no sign of misfire. The truck seemed to be running fine. I get to work and put truck in park. Then I noticed the truck was surging. It would surge few RMS over and over. About 12 hours later the next morning I drove truck home. It was 75 temps. The truck ran fine no problems. When I put truck in park at the house the truck ran like it was new no problems. Later yesterday afternoon I headed back to work. Had the same issue as the day before. About the same sport AC quit blowing cold air and when Got to work the truck began to surge again.. Then I drove it home this morning in 75 degree temps and the truck ran fine. It seems to only have problems in the hot outside temps.

Do I need to drop the tank again and make sure the fittings are on there secure? Do I need to see if I need to switch the fuel lines to see if it makes a difference.?

Help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:08 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

There ae 2 fuel lines to the sending unit and the evap hose might go to it as well. It's difficult to mix them up because of the angle of the fittings. I doubt the truck would run if you mix them up. To verify that you have them installed correctly, try disconnecting the reurn line near the engine and putting it into a jerry can. Return line should have fuel coming from engine. If not-you have a problem.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Installation ????