Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

first pay check need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 PM
hoonigan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first pay check need help

hey guys I'm going to get my first paycheck for about $500 and im tore between three upgrades I want
1) edge ct tuner($460 i would have to wait till my next pay check)
2) magnaflow exhaust($560 I would have to wait till my next paycheck)
3) cold air intake and some led work on the interior ($400)
ultimately i going to make the decision but what would you do?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

What are the specs of your truck?? What motor basically. I would go with exhaust and you should look into the Gotts mod for the air intake!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Specs? but out of them three no matter what you have, do exhaust first. Then intake. Then tuner, and for that price you could just as well get a custom gryphon (Edge with custom tunes) and have the place that writes the tunes compensate for your mods. In any way you do it, its better to tune after you have done your engine mods.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

1) Go with a Gyphon CS/CTS if you plan on doing the intake, etc.
2) Don't waste your money on a pre fabbed cat back system. You can piece together a system and get it welded in much cheaper.
3) Gotts mod and a good filter.

Start with the Gotts mod, then order the programmer and custom tunes. Cat back exhaust can be last as it doesn't need adjusted for in tuning.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:42 PM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by otto457
2) Don't waste your money on a pre fabbed cat back system. You can piece together a system and get it welded in much cheaper.

Start with the Gotts mod, then order the programmer and custom tunes. Cat back exhaust can be last as it doesn't need adjusted for in tuning.
I 2nd this!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1-Intake
2-Throttle Body
3-Muffler
4-Underdrive Pullies
5-2 Cat delete/Hi-Flow replacements
6-Tuner

In that order, IMO.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jayson_waltz
Specs? but out of them three no matter what you have, do exhaust first. Then intake. Then tuner, and for that price you could just as well get a custom gryphon (Edge with custom tunes) and have the place that writes the tunes compensate for your mods. In any way you do it, its better to tune after you have done your engine mods.
I only meant what motor for the exhaust that's what I meant by specs my bad. Because like Otto said piece together an exhaust and you'd have a few options with mufflers and whatnot but if he had the v6 like myself I would have let him know what I had done with mine sorry for not specifying but I'm going to agree with you bud. Exhaust and then intake followed by tune.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

True exhaust shop setups are much cheaper but I doubt you'll be getting any mandrel bends. Instead you'll have those nifty little wrinkles in each turn which are great areas for condensation to form and corrode your tubing. Those c-clamps do the same thing, creating an area for condensation to form. Corrosion shortens the life. You get what you pay for. Find a reputable company with a solid warranty.

They talked about this on Gears a couple weeks ago.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterfowler41
True exhaust shop setups are much cheaper but I doubt you'll be getting any mandrel bends. Instead you'll have those nifty little wrinkles in each turn which are great areas for condensation to form and corrode your tubing. Those c-clamps do the same thing, creating an area for condensation to form. Corrosion shortens the life. You get what you pay for. Find a reputable company with a solid warranty.

They talked about this on Gears a couple weeks ago.
When I talk about piecing together a system I mean ordering mandrel bent tails and fabbing it up. Avoids all the shops and their daffy smooth or crimp benders. The wrinkles also mess up velocity and add restriction.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

When I talk about piecing together a system I mean ordering mandrel bent tails and fabbing it up. Avoids all the shops and their daffy smooth or crimp benders. The wrinkles also mess up velocity and add restriction.
Good deal!

Quick Reply: first pay check need help