Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Exhaust Quote?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Cockpit Magician

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust Quote?

I just got a price quote for a new true dual exhaust setup and it seems pretty steep.

Here is what I'd be paying for:

Magnaflow X-Pipe
Two Si/So Round Maggies (potentially)
SS 2.5 in. piping from cats to tip

Price Quote:
$650 with Crush bent
$950 with Mandrel bent

Thoughts? Is Mandrel worth $300? The guy said he would let me come into the shop and run my truck at different RPMs to listen to the sound and throw on different mufflers until I found a sound I liked. I just don't want to throw down almost a grand if I would be fine with $650.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Cockpit Magician

I guess its more pricy because its twice the amount of tubing.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

You could get a full stainless dual kit that's mandrel bent for their crush bent price. Seems pretty high to me.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM
will run you OVER

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

thats outragous! do your research and look up different mufflers on trucks and decide the one you want. find a cheap price for it and buy it. then get the X-pipe and the tips you want. then go around to various shops and say "heres what I got...and heres what I need done. whats your price?" and go around town, shouldnt cost more than 100 bucks. i had custom work done to mine, i have true duals so thats double the normal amount of pipe all welded and the tips right where i want em...cost me 80 bucks. paying cash is always a good thing too
Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Cockpit Magician

Thanks guys. I really thought I was set on magnaflow so I was just going to order the x-pipe and mufflers on my own but since that guy said he could put different mufflers on to listen, I am torn. Should I just use youtube and listen to the sound I like or pay a little extra and get the sound show?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion is if the guy is willing to change muffler/pipe combinations until you get the sound you are looking for he is wanting to be compensated for his time. If you look at the job from that standpoint his price is reasonable. If you look at the job like most of us would, you drop off your truck-he calls when its done-you pay as little as possible, you don't get the personal attention and time required to try different things. If you have him put on brand x and you don't like it, you will have to pay him to put on brand y, brand z, etc. until you find what you like. In a way, he is saving you money in the long run and is concerned for helping you find what you want. My opinion is go with it. Most shops want in and out and want to TELL you what you want not listen to your concerns.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Cockpit Magician

I am going to head over to the shop tomorrow and use some of the tactics I learned from tonights Pawn Stars to see what I can get. lol. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love that show ^ lol. Tell me what price you get... I'm looking to do the same thing.. I don't wanna pay a grand thou.

My trucks prolly only worth 6 or 7. It's getting expensive putting parts into a truck that will always be worth the same. Grand for tires, grand for exhaust, few hundred in lights, new bed liner and such. Even with all that stuff it all bluebooks the same :/
Oh well- not like it's being sold

Quick Reply: Exhaust Quote?