Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust

I know there are a thousand threads on exhaust, but none have really helped me as most people run si/do mufflers and stuff alike. My problem is that my cats are startin to go bad and so I was goin to just cut them off. My current setup is true duals with all 4 cats and then an x-pipe and nothing else. Love the way it sounds (wish it was a little louder sometimes though). To get hi-flow cats it'd be more expensive to get than to cut out the cats and get some mufflers. I'm not worried about check engine lights as I have a programmer and custom tunes. Anyways to the point. I'm lookin to keep my x pipe on there (true duals) and wantin to run a muffler after the x pipe. I don't want any pop though, unless it's like at redline then that's fine. I was thinkin about cherry bomb extremes (same as flow master super 10s, only cheaper) or possibly super 44s. My brother has a 03 4.6 as well and he has no cats and two 40 series mufflers (don't know if it's the original or the super) and it sounds like tinny (tin can) and I haven't heard it in awhile but I think mines louder than his, and he agrees with that. So I'm basically tryin to find out if the cherry bombs will pop or not, and what it would sound like or if the super 44s would be loud and not pop as well as not soundin tinny. I figure mines different as not to many (at least what I've seen) people on here have x pipes. Thanks
Old 06-23-2016, 06:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In my experience, that "tinny" sound you describe is the flowmaster "sound". IMO, flowmasters not only restrict your exhaust, they sound like poop with a few rare exceptions.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 5,550 Likes on 4,627 Posts

We know what your brother is driving, - what are you?

So , you have a custom to run that noise maker ? What was the purpose of your custom tune, was exhaust worked in ?
Old 06-23-2016, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
We know what your brother is driving, - what are you? So , you have a custom to run that noise maker ? What was the purpose of your custom tune, was exhaust worked in ?
4.6 with x pipe and stock cats and nothin else.... Naw I got a custom tune, and it's got lifetime so they'll rewrite it. And I changed my mind and just gonna take the back cats out and throw on those mufflers
Old 06-23-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

I don't think my Flowmaster restricts my exhaust. I have the 10 seiries though with is a single chamber tiny muffler. I can see straight through it, but I can't see through the stock muffler.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:13 PM
F150 Forum

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Cherry bombs/glasspacks etc. have very little packing material, which makes them less effective at changing the exhaust volume and tone. You could actually accomplish both things at once with one of our resonated X pipes. These have all the regular benefits of an X pipe, with the muffling added to also control volume, and deepen the overall tone. These also cut back on the raspy tones and popping you get from removing the cats. If you have any questions, just let us know! We'd be happy to help you with the sizing.

Name:  1bca5d95-580d-43b7-80c7-d0c7a18ac97f_zpsr1kxqztp.png
Views: 56
Size:  41.0 KB

Last edited by Magna_Flow; 06-23-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Red-Ford
I don't think my Flowmaster restricts my exhaust. I have the 10 seiries though with is a single chamber tiny muffler. I can see straight through it, but I can't see through the stock muffler.
That's very unique then. Never seen an unchambered Slowmaster. Here's a 10, -

You can also see through the factory exhaust IF it isn't an offset unit.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 03FX45-Speed
4.6 with x pipe and stock cats and nothin else.... Naw I got a custom tune, and it's got lifetime so they'll rewrite it. And I changed my mind and just gonna take the back cats out and throw on those mufflers
So you have someone the will rewrite a tune for free? Damn, lucky you!

Right, remove the rears, I'd keep it a single vs dual, but since you have TRUE duels, you either make a pipe reduction or tune for that much more flow. Since your going to tune, yep, you can do anything.

Have no idea what that unorthodox set up will sound like, it will be different.

Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 03FX45-Speed
I was thinkin about cherry bomb extremes (same as flow master super 10s, only cheaper)
I just played the exhaust game a few weeks ago. 2003 5.4l

Those cherrybomb extremes drone terribly on the freeway. I didn't cut the cats but don't recommend regardless.

The thrush welded muffler was too quiet with cats.

I settled on removing the muffler and routing the exhaust out to infront of the rear tire and enjoy it very much. That's the easiest one to try after you find yourself a recip saw.

On my other 2001 5.4, I removed the cats and needed a thrush welded and a Gibson Supertruck to quiet it down enough to where I could drive around normally and not be an auto-dbag. It wasn't the most optimal of designs, but it's what I had to get it together before I hit the road. That also doesn't drone, is loud at idle, quiet at cruising, and head turning when on the gas.
Exit before the rear tire as well.

The 2003 cats/ no muffler is louder in the throttle than the 2001 no cats/ muffler.

The 2003 cats/ no muffler is less deep rumble in idle than the 2001 no cats/ muffler. The 2003 sounds more mustang than truck at idle.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
So you have someone the will rewrite a tune for free? Damn, lucky you! Right, remove the rears, I'd keep it a single vs dual, but since you have TRUE duels, you either make a pipe reduction or tune for that much more flow. Since your going to tune, yep, you can do anything. Have no idea what that unorthodox set up will sound like, it will be different. Good Luck.
cost a pretty penny for that but I thought it was worth it since Imma keep my truck and can always add more to my tunes. And yeah I could post a vid of my unorthodox exhaust when I get done 😂 if y'all would like.

Quick Reply: Exhaust