Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Engine squeal (non belt or pulley) Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine squeal (non belt or pulley) Question

Hey guys. I bought my first Ford 2 years ago and other than a coil block I've had no problems with it. I love my truck! Previous Chevy owner.

This morning I jump in to leave and it's squealing like crazy. I went through the usual steps of figuring out which pulley is bad. lube 1 at a time and start truck etc. Also spraying some belt dressing in case it was the belt. At any rate I pulled the belt off and started it. Squeals like crazy with the belt off. no pulleys spinning except crank. After hours of searching I've come to the conclusion it could be the cam position sensor or synchronizer. I'd like a little feed back on this if possible.

Also because the engine light came on last week I went today and had it checked and it blew codes P0171 and P0174 which appear to me to be completely unrelated. Thanks

edit:
2001 F150
4.2L
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM

does it squeal when you idle it up a little? i had a squealing problem with my 02 f150 5.4L and it was the manifold studs and where the manifolds connect to the next pipe, which also have a bolt "clamp-like" connector and the pipe was rubbing against the other pipe and squealing.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 PM

ummm i didn't idle it up but since it was cold it had a bit of a higher idle and when it came down the squeal did slow with it.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check to see if the starter pinion is staying engaged with the flywheel. Had a 2 week old rebuilt starter break the shift fork, and it wouldn't pull the pinion back out of the flywheel. It made a hell of a racket. If it runs long enough the commutator will expand like flower pedals. Won't start anymore and will confirm a bad starter.

Good luck,

Les
Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 PM

I just found this. Other than being a different year this is exactly what it sounds like.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Just thought I'd end this thread. I went ahead and changed the cam synchronizer and positioning sensor today. That was indeed the issue. Hope this helps someone else.

Quick Reply: Engine squeal (non belt or pulley) Question