Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Electrical Problem, door light and reverse light

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem, door light and reverse light

a few days ago i noticed that while i'm driving my truck, my doors will not auto lock as they normally would. also the "door ajar" light is always on; and yes, i checked to make sure all my doors were closed, haha.

and when i get out of the truck and lock it, the back light above the cab stays on for at least 30 minutes.

seems to be some kind of electrical problem. where should i start looking?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
JRV

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this sounds weird, but your problem is a piece of cake to fix.

Just grab some WD40, and spray the heck out of the door latch (where your door actually comes in contact with your door jam).

From what I understand, there is some magnetic pickup in there that after time sticks, and when it doesn't release, it makes the truck think that your door isn't closed tight. The WD40 will pop it loose and lube it so it doesn't happen anymore. I thought it would be a temporary fix for my truck, but it has been going right over a year strong, and the problem has never come back! Give it a shot and let us know if that works.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by JRV
I know this sounds weird, but your problem is a piece of cake to fix.

Just grab some WD40, and spray the heck out of the door latch (where your door actually comes in contact with your door jam).

From what I understand, there is some magnetic pickup in there that after time sticks, and when it doesn't release, it makes the truck think that your door isn't closed tight. The WD40 will pop it loose and lube it so it doesn't happen anymore. I thought it would be a temporary fix for my truck, but it has been going right over a year strong, and the problem has never come back! Give it a shot and let us know if that works.

where the hinges are of the door frame or the back part where it latches?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:56 PM

haha, i dont know what it did, but it worked. i just went out and sprayed down everything with wd40, opened and closed it a few times, locked it and the light turned right off.

awesome. thanks!

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem, door light and reverse light