Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Diagnostic Scan Tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Diagnostic Scan Tool

If a Diagnostic Scan Tool was on your wish list(under 2K), what would be your tool of choice. Are these tools manufacture specific, or generic for all manufactures?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

the one I have covers ODB-II up thru the mid 2000s. got it at O'Riellys for about $150, covers just about any car/truck that supports ODB-ii & some ISO protocols.

also check out scan-tool.net
Old 01-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Location: Milky Way, Local Cluster, Sol System, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, United States, Kansas, Wichita
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a generic OBD II to USB reader and either Movi for you Mac users that don't have access to a Windows install. For the Windows users or Mac users with virtualization software the same OBD II reader and a nice piece of software called EasyOBDII 2.3.0 there is a free and paid for version. The free one has been helpful with clearing codes and data logging and the like.

I used it recently to go over my little brothers "new" 1996 Crown Vic Interceptor. Found a bad O2 sensor with the codes that it was throwing. It isn't dedicated hardware besides the OBD II reader but it has come in handy.

Neither of these solutions will allow you to do dealer style factory flashing of the ROMs on the computer but if you need to read codes and do some basic troubleshooting you can't go wrong.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by macsavageg4
I picked up a generic OBD II to USB reader and either Movi for you Mac users that don't have access to a Windows install. For the Windows users or Mac users with virtualization software the same OBD II reader and a nice piece of software called EasyOBDII 2.3.0 there is a free and paid for version. The free one has been helpful with clearing codes and data logging and the like.

I used it recently to go over my little brothers "new" 1996 Crown Vic Interceptor. Found a bad O2 sensor with the codes that it was throwing. It isn't dedicated hardware besides the OBD II reader but it has come in handy.

Neither of these solutions will allow you to do dealer style factory flashing of the ROMs on the computer but if you need to read codes and do some basic troubleshooting you can't go wrong.
I loaded the software, but I can not find any instructions on how to use it. What type of cable do you use to gather the info?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 10:29 PM

Location: Milky Way, Local Cluster, Sol System, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, United States, Kansas, Wichita

You will need a USB or serial to OBD II interface cable to go from the machine to the vehicle. I know at the Movi website they sell a kit with the software and the hardware needed. If you do get the
USB to OBD II cable USB to OBD II cable
you still may need to install a http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm so the software will interface with the device properly. Once you have all the hardware and software in place the OBD II interface you will have to point the software at the port. I believe the website has information on that if not worse comes to worse a google search will yield the proper answer.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go for a programmer dude, they are a little more, but you get a scan tool and a tuner.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 PM

I am not wanting a programmer, but a diagnostic tool for troubleshooting my own cars. My BMW6 Series is about to go out of warranty, and the cost for a dealer to work on it could be huge! I don't trust dealerships when they are playing with my money. To many dealerships have parts changers, instead of troubleshooters!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dirtbuster1
If a Diagnostic Scan Tool was on your wish list(under 2K), what would be your tool of choice. Are these tools manufacture specific, or generic for all manufactures?

Thanks

I like my Innova 3130, shows live data of your systems, also can run live data while driving to check your repairs. Great investment, it has saved me thousands. It is upgradeable over the net. However, I wish I bought the 3140 so I could read pre 1997 cars also!
http://www.canobd2.com/

I Highly reccommend HAYNES TECHBOOK OBD-II, this book teaches you a lot, how to diagnose your codes using the live data information on the reader, and also how to use a digital multimeter to diagnose defective parts. I bought my TECHBOOK at Advance Auto, and my Reader from SUMMIT RACING.

Good Luck.

Last edited by sharptp; 11-09-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Diagnostic Scan Tool