Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

COP replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default COP replacement

When the weather starts getting cooler out (I live in the panhandle of florida) my trucks starts up and sputters a bit.
So I got a cheap tester and find out its my COP's 2 and 5, I bought a couple of them off ebay a few years back for cheap (could buy a whole set for about $90).
Well two weekends ago I replace #5, and it runs a little better, but still sputters on cold start, after it warms up it runs great.
Ok, my question is, should I just go ahead and replace all of them? since it looks like I will have to pull the fuel rail. Or should I just replace them as needed?
I replaced the plug on #5, but the one I pulled out looked good, so i'm thinking the previous owner had changed them out (I have only had the truck for about 3 years now).
My philosophy has always been, if it ain't broke don't fix it... but having to remove all the stuff to get to the next one i'm looking at it as a "preventive maintenance" type move.
Yeah or neah?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:04 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

You do not need to remove the fuel rail to change them.

This is your call. The cheap eBay ones are not as good as quality as Visteon or Motorcraft, but they are half the price. Visteons can be found for $200 for the set.

Yes, i too live by if it ain't broke don't fix it. That said, we both get the oil changed right? Same as plugs and COPs, they are regular maintenance. 100-150k is about all the COPs are good for.
I changed mine when I did plugs around 100k since I had to take them off anyway.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:18 PM

Oh, I have the oil.... don't ask what brand...LOL... I bought the filter and oil for winter (lighter weight) and will do it this weekend hopefully. If I feel good enough to do it....

I thought for sure i'd have to pull the fuel rail... ok, i'll give it a go and see what I can do without removing it, I did a video of the #5 replacement... so I guess i'll do one of the #2 also.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

If youre going to do them all, buy one of these before hand: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-7...p-00943193000P

You'll see why when you get to 7 and 8.

Also, a set of wratcheting metric wrenches wouldnt hurt either. They come in so handy for lots of automotive work. Makes me wonder how I ever got by without them.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:42 PM

I have a quarter inch swivel adapter I believe, i'll have to check and make sure...thanks for pointing that out.
If anyone has a few pointers on how they did or what they did to replace the coil packs, i'm all ears.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Trust me when I say this buddy, I have gone through about 40-50 coils. Why? I dont know. Its a prolonged thing and it happens. I was going through 3-4 a month. After making the switch and going with Accel, Im extremly happy.

I personally recommend Accel or Granatelli
Old 11-05-2014, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will stick to visteon or Motorcraft coils. I replaced all my coils with motorcrafts about 3 weeks ago. I found a set of 8 brand new for $250 shipped.
I will suggest to shop around before you invest.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:44 PM

Thanks guys.... the ones I purchased were before I came down sick.... about 3 years ago.
Got them off of ebay from Alanis Deals, they are ADP brand (what ever that means).
I'm going to replace #2 after this rain front comes through, probably this weekend.
I will also replace the plug, I bought 8 of them and might see about replacing them if the truck still acts up on cold starts.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:33 AM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Originally Posted by dopewaffle
Trust me when I say this buddy, I have gone through about 40-50 coils. Why? I dont know. Its a prolonged thing and it happens. I was going through 3-4 a month. After making the switch and going with Accel, Im extremly happy.

I personally recommend Accel or Granatelli
How did you manage to keep it running with those coils ? Both Accel and Granatelli purchase Chinese knockoffs, then thro a higher price tag on them. It's business, most merchants do this..sooner or later lol.

Both venders sell great parts, - aftermarket performance goodies, - but not the COP's coils unfortunately.

I haven't heard to much from Granatelli in quite awhile, - Granatelli Motor Sports still make the absolute best in solid Coil Connectors, - Guys have ben using them w/Motorcraft/Visteon coils for over 5 years now.. Don't use them with chinees coils. Hardly any themal protection in the knock offs.

Accel, - great ignition components! , except for the COP components.

I hope they last yuh awhile, - grease the snot out of them! Keep that moisture as far away as possible. One little surge could be the end.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbrew

How did you manage to keep it running with those coils ? Both Accel and Granatelli purchase Chinese knockoffs, then thro a higher price tag on them. It's business, most merchants do this..sooner or later lol.

Both venders sell great parts, - aftermarket performance goodies, - but not the COP's coils unfortunately.

I haven't heard to much from Granatelli in quite awhile, - Granatelli Motor Sports still make the absolute best in solid Coil Connectors, - Guys have ben using them w/Motorcraft/Visteon coils for over 5 years now.. Don't use them with chinees coils. Hardly any themal protection in the knock offs.

Accel, - great ignition components! , except for the COP components.

I hope they last yuh awhile, - grease the snot out of them! Keep that moisture as far away as possible. One little surge could be the end.
Trust me man, I dreaded driving the truck because I know it was just gonna make me angry soon. After putting the Acell coils in, I've only had one go out (replaced for free due to warranty) and Im happy to say I made the switch. It actually opened up my top end on the truck to a noticible level.

And listen to Jbrew everyone, it a drop of water touches below the cap, its over. It will slowly die then completly quit. I wish there was a way to waterproof them :[

Quick Reply: COP replacement