Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Chip key?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chip key?

If there's only one key to the vehicle, is it possible to get another one programmed? And, should the key work on the doors and the ignition switch? Cuz one truck I looked at, had only one key for ignition, doesn't work on doors.
What would a dealer charge to match the ignition to the doors and provide a spare key? Or vice versa?
Old 10-17-2016, 01:57 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yes to the first and second questions. You can get a good locksmith to program and cut you a second key for the PATS/Ignition. The doors may have to have a key coded to fit them if the ignition doesn't fit them. Stay away from the dealers. Way too expensive unless that is the only lock place in your area.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:56 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

If you have only one key you have limited options. You can get a cloned key (many big box stores offer this service as do many locksmiths). This key is just a cloned copy of the one you have. It will start the truck and such, but it can't be used as a second key to make more copies. This option works well for most and is a cheaper option. Not sure on the cost though (have hears anywhere from $40 to $80)
The second option is to go to a dealer, locksmith or repair shop that has the correct OBD II tool to program new keys to the system. You will need at least a second key with the RFID chip in it (~$7 on e-bay) and have the key cut to match the current one. They then take the 2 keys and reset the PATS to recognize only those 2 keys (takes about 30-40 minutes). You can then use those 2 keys to repgram the system for more keys if you want. This one also varies greatly. My local repair shop charged me $40 (maybe $45) to do 2 keys, and I paid around $11 to get the key off e-bay and have it cut at ACE hardware. I have heard of some dealers charging up to $200 for this service.

As for the door and ignition, yes, you should only need one key for both. If your looking to buy the truck, I would make this a part of the deal that they match as well as giving you a second working key (ideally a programed key, not a cloned key).
If you already own it, whomever does thekey reprogram should be able to get the door and ignition to match, price, no idea.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

usually the door locks are just stuck, here in the midwest anyway, little kroil or WD40 in the lock and carefully work it with the key a bit.
I think this happens because people use the remotes all the time and the lock gets gummed up from not ever being used.

as for extra key, work it in the deal, some day people will wise up and keep better track of the spares. or maybe not, I mean chip keys have been common for 20 years now and people still don't.

I have asked about new second keys at all my local ford dealers, $100 to $150 INCLUDES the key and cutting.
Funny how they all have different pricing on them, shop around.

I have also checked at every locksmith I could find from Peoria, IL to Davenport IA and NEVER found one that could program real ford keys, they all told me dealer only.
there were several that could do the CLONE keys but they are $60 to $80 and you still really only have one key.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:25 PM

I know people will bitch about this but for less than $20
something I have done to several different Fords
1.order 2 new keys off eBay, get them cut at local wherever key maker, not as easy as it sounds.
2.take the PATS key sensor off the ignition, zip tie the working key to the sensor, zip tie the key/sensor combo far up under the dash.
3. use the new unprogrammed keys
4. smile every time you get in your truck, you should be doing that anyway.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:42 PM

Well, I ended up buying the truck... so now I need to figure out my options. The truck was a repo, at least at some point in history. Not sure if that is the reason why the key doesn't work in the doors.

I guess I can try a little WD40 and jimmy the locks again.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Polishdog
Well, I ended up buying the truck... so now I need to figure out my options. The truck was a repo, at least at some point in history. Not sure if that is the reason why the key doesn't work in the doors.

I guess I can try a little WD40 and jimmy the locks again.

it's not real if there are no pictures!!
Old 10-17-2016, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by guyina4x4
it's not real if there are no pictures!!
https://www.f150forum.com/f6/found-truck-361278/#poost5000981

Last edited by Polishdog; 10-18-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:57 AM

Is it possible this truck came with a separate door key?

I should be able to remove the door lock cylinders and re-key it to match my ignition key, correct? Just can't figure out why someone would change the door locks, unless they changed the ignition switch cylinder, but that would cost even more for the chip key.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:09 PM

I would think most likely if the locks aren't just stuck
they could have been changed out, much cheaper than getting the ignition changed out.

Quick Reply: Chip key?