Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Camshaft position sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft position sensor?

Ok guys I have another mystery for you. First some background info. 2000 F150XL 4.2-V6 225,000 on truck, 13,500 on a RE-MANUFACTURED long block. I uninstalled and re-installed everything "to the book". My problem lies with the camshaft position sensor. I installed it while I had the motor on the stand so I had a 100% definite TDC (I could see the timing marks and feel the top of #1 piston). The sensor is 54 degrees from center of engine , as the book says. (please keep in mind all I have is a Chilton manual) Well it ran fine for a year and a half, with the OBD 2 code P1309 always on, then it died on me. Well after a lot of cussing and looking for obvious things I decided to check the cam sensor. With this in mind I was going to rotate the motor to the #1 TDC and low and behold the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer was gone. Actually it broke the head off but I was able to get the rest out of the crank threads easily. Now for the supposed reason for the bolt failure: According to Ford, if the ignition timing and firing are off and cause it to backfire it can cause the balancer to crack at the keyway. Which it did. It would sometimes make a little "poof" sound when it started. So after learning this I turned the CPS one tooth counter-clockwise clockwise. This has made a tremendous improvement in cranking and starting, no "poof". But has a hesitation when accelerating from a dead stop. The sensor tests good. So far the check engine light isn't on but its only been a couple of days. So i guess my question is, did I mess up at some point or is the CPS defective? Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

I'm willing to bet the whole camshaft syncronizer assembly is bad, they were a known weak point and if that goes bad...bye bye engine because that little sucker drives your oil pump

@white89gt you agree?
The following users liked this post:
white89gt (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 10:44 AM

I have a feeling it bad. Oil pressure is good and doesn't fluctuate, as of now. I'm going to change it if for anything peace of mind. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bravofantastic
I have a feeling it bad. Oil pressure is good and doesn't fluctuate, as of now. I'm going to change it if for anything peace of mind. Thanks for the quick reply.
make sure you get a motor craft one
Old 05-03-2019, 10:52 AM

Oh yeh. I don't put anything but Motorcraft when it is within my means pricewise. Your profile says your a parts guy, about how much do these things run?
Old 05-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bravofantastic
Oh yeh. I don't put anything but Motorcraft when it is within my means pricewise. Your profile says your a parts guy, about how much do these things run?
not cheap $207 and it does NOT come with the sensor
Old 05-03-2019, 10:55 AM

That's about right LOL! Ok, well I will update this thread as soon as I get a new one installed.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:28 PM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn
I'm willing to bet the whole camshaft syncronizer assembly is bad, they were a known weak point and if that goes bad...bye bye engine because that little sucker drives your oil pump

@white89gt you agree?
Yep.... I agree. Replace the whole deal. This is a rare case that I'd chance going with Cardone.... it comes with the sensor too.

Going all MC is not too bad via Rock Auto.

Either way you go, this is something you might wanna get for the tool....

Old 05-03-2019, 02:05 PM

Going to probably have to go with the cardone this go around. Thanks for all the help guys
Old 05-15-2019, 07:47 AM

UPDATE! Ok guys, changed the syncronizer assembly. Now I have a miss!? Not just a little miss either. Im talking almost a dead cylinder miss. Getting tired of taking this thing apart. Ideas? Plugs are new, wires are new. Even made a tool to show tdc of number 1 piston. What am i doing wrong?

Quick Reply: Camshaft position sensor?