Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Bolts for suspension hangers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bolts for suspension hangers

Hey everybody, just joined the forum, thanks in advance for all the great knowledge I am sure you all have! I just bought a 2000 XLT, and I got a good price because I knew it had a few issues, but nothing unmanageable. First thing i want to take is rust. Looks like it was rust treated at some point in the past but that has mostly worn away. The hangers are ok, but since I want to stop rust I and take them off when I attack all the frame and underbody areas to prep for por15, I will at least need new bolts once I grind out the rivets. Does anyone know the spec for bolts to replace the rivets or better yet somewhere I can buy one?
Old 02-23-2019, 07:25 AM
Driving the wheels offer

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

I'll take a stab at this. Rivets are considered superior to bolts - there is no replacement spec. Bolts are considered temporary fasteners because they can be removed but they can also loosen under vibration. Do you want your frame bolts loosening down the road? The strength of the bolt is probably not the limiting factor here, so grade 5 would probably be ok. You may want to consider welding the nut to the bolt after tightening. There are special fasteners called Huck Bolts or Aerobolts for structural applications, Also do a google search on Nord Lock washers to take care of vibration loosening.

My advice would be to leave the rivets and clean around them the best you can.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:09 PM

Received 5,561 Likes on 4,637 Posts

Correct ^^^ Grade 5# Cap bolt (hex) 7/16 x1.5" x14 w/ Grade C 7/16 Lock nut/Pinch nut (grade 5) for hangers. Rivet spec substitutes,hangers only.

Shackle spec bolts are metric 12# series...12.8 (hardness) to be exact.

Yea , no welding on hangers, lock nuts will not budge and retain torque value...pretty sure it's 100' lbs there. I would suggest nylon inserts here although they'll probably work, - lock nuts are much more durable.

Btw, - Jr, they sell bolt kits, I know they do. They'll come up in search I expect. Just make sure they are 5's w/lock nut. No lock washers there though, flat washers. Most likley supplied if you find a kit. If not, 7/16 or maybe 1/2 heavy.

Last edited by Jbrew; 02-23-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Bolts for suspension hangers