Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

P0174 HELP!! Only bank 2!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 01:15 AM

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts
Default P0174 HELP!! Only bank 2!

I have a 2000 F-150 4.2 V6 SuperCab with only 108,000 miles on it. The only problem with it is I have a reoccurring code. P0174 System too lean bank 2, I have looked at other threads and they are all for both banks but mine is consistently only BANK 2, no matter how many times I delete it, it’s always bank 2 when it comes back. I have checked all my vacuum lines, they’re good. I have replaced the PVC valve and joint on the top. I have sprayed mass airflow cleaner on the MAF sensor and it still comes back, I have ran 93 octane through it and no change. I have seen where rock auto sells a PVC valve grommet, is this a necessity or what? Mine didn’t have it when I replaced it so I didn’t get it. Could this cause it? And only one bank? I have had it where the code shows up twice, same bank 2 but only 2 of the exact same codes. I am unsure of where to go from here. Any help would be great.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:29 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Efarmer
I have a 2000 F-150 4.2 V6 SuperCab with only 108,000 miles on it. The only problem with it is I have a reoccurring code. P0174 System too lean bank 2, I have looked at other threads and they are all for both banks but mine is consistently only BANK 2, no matter how many times I delete it, it’s always bank 2 when it comes back. ... Any help would be great.
Something to check, I had a P0171 Bank 1 code that kept getting set. Turned out it was a loose connection of the exhaust pipe at the manifold on the passenger side. Tightened the nuts about a half turn and it hasn't come back. I think a vacuum leak before the intakes valves would eventually set both bank lean codes. A leak after an exhaust valve can apparently cause a single bank code. The small exhaust pipe leak must have allowed air to be sucked into the exhaust causing the lean code. I would have guessed the exhaust pressure would not do that. If a small leak in an exhaust pipe connection before the cats can do that maybe a crack in a manifold could, too.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by R&TBabich
Something to check, I had a P0171 Bank 1 code that kept getting set. Turned out it was a loose connection of the exhaust pipe at the manifold on the passenger side. Tightened the nuts about a half turn and it hasn't come back. I think a vacuum leak before the intakes valves would eventually set both bank lean codes. A leak after an exhaust valve can apparently cause a single bank code. The small exhaust pipe leak must have allowed air to be sucked into the exhaust causing the lean code. I would have guessed the exhaust pressure would not do that. If a small leak in an exhaust pipe connection before the cats can do that maybe a crack in a manifold could, too.
I have bought that could be it, however I’m my specific vehicle do you know what side bank 2 is? I do not, keep in mind it is the 4.2 V6. I no longer have the sticker above the radiator fan shield/heat shield, so I don’t know where to get it. I will definitely try that and update you on my progress.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

I have bought that could be it, however I’m my specific vehicle do you know what side bank 2 is? I do not, keep in mind it is the 4.2 V6. I no longer have the sticker above the radiator fan shield/heat shield, so I don’t know where to get it. I will definitely try that and update you on my progress.
bank 2 should be the driver side of the engine
Old 02-23-2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
bank 2 should be the driver side of the engine
thanks, I’ll be sure to tighten that side of the exhaust manifold and see it there are any changes to the code.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

One failing or partially blocked injector could cause a lean bank. Do a real time scan to look at fuel trims and injector status.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
One failing or partially blocked injector could cause a lean bank. Do a real time scan to look at fuel trims and injector status.
would It help to run fuel injector cleaner a few times and 93 octane for a while?
Old 02-23-2019, 07:02 PM

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

would It help to run fuel injector cleaner a few times and 93 octane for a while?
93 octane will help stop knocking, but doesn't usually contain any extra detergents.
I wouldn't expect injector cleaner to help much if any if there is a large enough blockage to cause a lean bank. I would be more concerned that something large got past a cheap fuel filter and is blocking the screen in the top of an injector.

I recently had a lean bank 1 that turned into a miss. The scanner showed an intermittent injector that eventually failed completely. It all cleared up after replacing the injector. But you need a scanner to see what is going on and a fuel pressure tester to make sure your pressure is right.

It is also possible that you have an O2 sensor on it's way out giving a false reading that you are too lean on that bank.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
93 octane will help stop knocking, but doesn't usually contain any extra detergents.
I wouldn't expect injector cleaner to help much if any if there is a large enough blockage to cause a lean bank. I would be more concerned that something large got past a cheap fuel filter and is blocking the screen in the top of an injector.

I recently had a lean bank 1 that turned into a miss. The scanner showed an intermittent injector that eventually failed completely. It all cleared up after replacing the injector. But you need a scanner to see what is going on and a fuel pressure tester to make sure your pressure is right.

It is also possible that you have an O2 sensor on it's way out giving a false reading that you are too lean on that bank.
and this is all checkable on a reader? I don’t have much experience on one but I will sure try, I don’t believe it is an injection problem simply because I’ve had it for at least 3 months and have never had a misfire or another code come up except an EGR code but I replaced that and it works fine now.

Quick Reply: P0174 HELP!! Only bank 2!