Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Android Tablet radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 02:09 AM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

Default Android Tablet radio

I found this on youtube and thought a few of you would like to watch it.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:42 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

That is really neat. Too bad I'm an apple fan and the iPad mini is still quite a bit larger than that nexus tablet

I'm thinking about buying the slimmest otter box case I can for the iPad mini and using epoxy to mount the front half of the case into the dash piece and using a polyester/spandex fabric like an under armor shirt to contour the dash and the case and using fiberglass resin with shredded fiberglass in it to provide strength. Then using body filler to smooth out any imperfections then finish with paint.

That way, you just put the iPad in the front half of the case that is mounted to the dash then just put the back half on to secure it in place. This whole project is a lot easier said than done though.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I would love to do this.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Thats awesome!!!!...
Old 09-04-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

I would suggest a bluetooth audio volume controler.

This guy's install is super basic and I'd suggest anyone looking to do a lot more research before you start cutting and gluing.

Also, Don't use an Otter Box to do the install. A cheap plastic case would probably be more cost effective and easily replaceable if you happen to screw up the first one.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wolvee
I would suggest a bluetooth audio volume controler.

This guy's install is super basic and I'd suggest anyone looking to do a lot more research before you start cutting and gluing.

Also, Don't use an Otter Box to do the install. A cheap plastic case would probably be more cost effective and easily replaceable if you happen to screw up the first one.
Most hard plastic cases for the iPad are single piece cases where the device just pushes in from the front. It's harder than you might think to find one that separates into two pieces and, for a lack of better words, sandwiches the iPad between it. That was my reason for using an otter box.

As far as audio controls go, I'm going to run a small single din head unit with time alignment down in the center console I'm building. And the iPad will plug into that via the usb in the rear of the stereo, allowing the front ports to be used as well if anyone else wanted to play music.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:31 PM

I did some more looking and came across this case..

http://www.amazon.com/Trident-Case-Cyclops-Display-CY-APL-IPADMINIR-BK/dp/B00IFE4HRU/ http://www.amazon.com/Trident-Case-Cyclops-Display-CY-APL-IPADMINIR-BK/dp/B00IFE4HRU/

It's lower profile than the otter box and it comes with a screen protector (which I may not use, I want to use an anti glare for sunny days). It leaves the home button and front camera and sensors exposed which is nice..

I have a couple bigger projects to knock out first but then I'll get back to this incase anyone is interested.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

Check out here. Nice wright up on an install.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...n-01-f150.html
Old 09-04-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by ScrewThat
That is really neat. Too bad I'm an apple fan and the iPad mini is still quite a bit larger than that nexus tablet

I'm thinking about buying the slimmest otter box case I can for the iPad mini and using epoxy to mount the front half of the case into the dash piece and using a polyester/spandex fabric like an under armor shirt to contour the dash and the case and using fiberglass resin with shredded fiberglass in it to provide strength. Then using body filler to smooth out any imperfections then finish with paint.

That way, you just put the iPad in the front half of the case that is mounted to the dash then just put the back half on to secure it in place. This whole project is a lot easier said than done though.
You mean like this..?
Attached Thumbnails Android Tablet radio-photo78.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 02_Black_On_White
You mean like this..?
Yeah similar, that looks like a float mount though. I want there to be a small bezel around the screen. And I don't want to be able to remove it from the front for theft purposes. I want it to be a more permanent install.

Attached is a picture of the case I want to use.
Attached Thumbnails Android Tablet radio-photo795.jpg  

Quick Reply: Android Tablet radio