Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Ace Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Ace Hardware

as anybody used ace hardware to get a duplicate key made instead of doing to the dealership? my buddy went an made 5 copies and said they worked without having to program it. do I have to program the spare key from ace? my friend said he didn't on his f250 but idk if he's lying or not he did it this morning and I havnt had a chance to go look an see it personally. thanks for any input.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raif281
as anybody used ace hardware to get a duplicate key made instead of doing to the dealership? my buddy went an made 5 copies and said they worked without having to program it. do I have to program the spare key from ace? my friend said he didn't on his f250 but idk if he's lying or not he did it this morning and I havnt had a chance to go look an see it personally. thanks for any input.
You only have to have it programmed if it is a chipped key, if it is chipped the duplicate key will work fine to unlock the door but it wont start the truck. If the key isnt chipped, it will do both no problem.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by RMountainNM

You only have to have it programmed if it is a chipped key, if it is chipped the duplicate key will work fine to unlock the door but it wont start the truck. If the key isnt chipped, it will do both no problem.
yes it is a chipped key an I need a key for a spare as I only have one right now. I need it to start the truck, so that means I have to program it correct? havnt all keys since like 2000 have chips put in them? jw, an I have the keyless entry so I just need it to start my truck.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Not all of the F250's recieved the PATS system. My dad has a 07 KR PSD without PATS. But all of the F150's I have seen after 2000 have had PATS. Even some of the XL work trucks have had it.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:39 PM
99fordman

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mines a 99 and is chipped my dealer wants 120 to program and get a new key
Old 07-10-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
Not all of the F250's recieved the PATS system. My dad has a 07 KR PSD without PATS. But all of the F150's I have seen after 2000 have had PATS. Even some of the XL work trucks have had it.
his is a 99 or 2000, here's the only pic I have of his truck

Attachment 126657

so if I get a key from ace I have to program it myself? I know there's a thread on here about it but don't you need 2 keys to program an extra? or can I just do it with the one key I have? cuz i don't wanna pay $120 to program it.

Originally Posted by chavita28
Mines a 99 and is chipped my dealer wants 120 to program and get a new key
whistling, that's steep for one key!! my friend got his keys made at ace for 3.99 a key which is why I wanna give it a try. if I can get it made that cheap an then reprogram it myself that'll she me $116 a key compared to the dealership!!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

You can buy the chipped key blank on Ebay for less than $20 and have it cut most any where to fit the lock But if you only have one key it will have to be programed at the dealer. If you have 2 working keys you can program it yourself. Inst. are included with the new key or they are in the owners manual Itis a very easy process
Old 07-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

PS in the past I have taken the single chipped key removed the cover around the ignition lock and securerd the chipped key under the cover as close to the lock as posible and thenreplaced the cover you can then start the truck with a non chipped key it will sense the chipped key that is close to the lock this defeats the PATS system but you can get by untill you can afford to get a key programed.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
You can buy the chipped key blank on Ebay for less than $20 and have it cut most any where to fit the lock But if you only have one key it will have to be programed at the dealer. If you have 2 working keys you can program it yourself. Inst. are included with the new key or they are in the owners manual Itis a very easy process
Originally Posted by bubbabud
PS in the past I have taken the single chipped key removed the cover around the ignition lock and securerd the chipped key under the cover as close to the lock as posible and thenreplaced the cover you can then start the truck with a non chipped key it will sense the chipped key that is close to the lock this defeats the PATS system but you can get by untill you can afford to get a key programed.
well ace has the chipped keys. thats a great idea for the time being! 2 non chipped keys for $5 instead of $120 for a 2nd one! so pretty much I just need to suck it up an get a 2nd from the dealership then I can program my own keys? is there no other possible way to program a key with only one? how does ford do it with only one chipped key then? they must have a secret an no one knows about it lol. do they use a 2nd key that matches my key I have or do they just give me 2 new blank keys or what? that's what I'd like to know
Old 07-10-2012, 07:59 PM

looks like I'll bite the bullet and get a spare made for $120 when I save some

Quick Reply: Ace Hardware