Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

AC internal switch not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC internal switch not working

My AC has not been working for about 4 years now. 2 years ago I filled it with freon and AC guy said it wasn't working because the switch/lever that turns the AC/heater from one to the other was broken. The outcome was that he would charge me $500 to replace the switch and that the cost was so much because he would have to take out the entire dashboard. So I never did it. I went to Ford parts center and asked how much that piece would cost and the guy at the counter mentioned that by removing the lower panel of the interior dashboard I can create my own lever to go from AC to Heater. Has anyone done this before? I'd greatly appreciate any help in trying to solve this problem. I just can't spend $500 or another hot summer with out AC.

Peter
Old 09-18-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by njford49
My AC has not been working for about 4 years now. 2 years ago I filled it with freon and AC guy said it wasn't working because the switch/lever that turns the AC/heater from one to the other was broken. The outcome was that he would charge me $500 to replace the switch and that the cost was so much because he would have to take out the entire dashboard. So I never did it. I went to Ford parts center and asked how much that piece would cost and the guy at the counter mentioned that by removing the lower panel of the interior dashboard I can create my own lever to go from AC to Heater. Has anyone done this before? I'd greatly appreciate any help in trying to solve this problem. I just can't spend $500 or another hot summer with out AC.

Peter
Your problem is the blend door. People have down it without removing the dashboard, my advice.... Set a weekend aside and remove the dash screw by screw, replace the blend door / actuator, flush the HVAC and may as well replace the heater core while in there. It's not fun but it's not that hard either. Watch some YouTube videos and have at it. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Start here. Don't worry about the time, it's not a race. Keep all the screws together and reinstall in the exact opposite you disassembled.

Quick Reply: AC internal switch not working