Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

5.4 sounds like it's exploded on the inside...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 5.4 sounds like it's exploded on the inside...

I should hear from my mechanic tomorrow the final verdict, but I am petty sure my engine is in pieces from the inside out.... I'm praying it's not, but i am looking at the worst case scenario.

1999 5.4L 4x4. I have found a couple complete Navigation engines that could work, but I'm unsure which year (or vin?) to focus on? Also, what odds and ends am I going to need to make the swap? Exhaust? Intake? Wiring? Etc.

I'm still searching the forum, but if anyone could provide some information in the mean time I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:04 PM

Or is 4v even worth it?

Just rebuild the 2v?

Old 09-28-2015, 02:25 AM

Received 5,550 Likes on 4,627 Posts

I wouldn't go 4V unless I was perhaps building something. They can be a PITA to deal with. Great engine if you can keep them running right. I wouldn't rebuild a 2V unless I had personal reasons that didn't have to make sense.

I would however install a proven and used motor after passing a compression test. Preferably a lightning pullout w/factory Eaton. I like it easy, and for it to last a good long while.

Also, the V10 will fit with very little persuasion. It's been done, it's cool, but I'd have to go with the 3 valve 10 platform. Same power as the lightning...but N/A.

That's just my opinion tho
Old 09-28-2015, 02:28 AM

Hey, post back when you find out what happened to your engine...just curious.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
I wouldn't go 4V unless I was perhaps building something. They can be a PITA to deal with. Great engine if you can keep them running right. I wouldn't rebuild a 2V unless I had personal reasons that didn't have to make sense.

I would however install a proven and used motor after passing a compression test. Preferably a lightning pullout w/factory Eaton. I like it easy, and for it to last a good long while.

Also, the V10 will fit with very little persuasion. It's been done, it's cool, but I'd have to go with the 3 valve 10 platform. Same power as the lightning...but N/A.

That's just my opinion tho
6.8 looks extremely interesting, but it may be too complex of a swap... ? I will need to get the truck running quickly. If this was a toy I'd love to go big NA power.

Lightning swap would be great, and there is a complete motor with tranny and all for under 4grand BUT it's got a bad head gasket. Expensive and needs repair. :/

This is going to be tough....

Hoping to get a miracle message from the mechanic this morning.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:03 PM

Just heard.... Engine grenaded.... Large chunks of metal...

So the hunt for an engine officially begins.

Truck is street driven and garaged with occasional tow duties and light off road use. Mechanic is charging me 7-900 in labor so I have a decent amount of money to spend on parts - 3,000 would prob be my cap.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:04 PM

Oh, and the truck has 176k miles on it.... But I love it too much to junk it. And I really don't want to make new truck payments. ��
Old 09-28-2015, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dropkick_pride
Oh, and the truck has 176k miles on it.... But I love it too much to junk it. And I really don't want to make new truck payments. ��
Are you using a MAC ?

Anyway, best thing to do in this circumstance IMO is to find a good used engine. If I had a choice , reman or used, I would still go with used. I have my reasons derived from experience. A GOOD used engine, - figure on dropping about 1300 bucks on one. You want compression documentation if available. If it isn't available, - it's easy enough to do yourself BEFORE forking out any doe since the engine is most likley out of the vehicle.

For an engine, try the car-part.com website. Type in your zip and it will search for an engine from your local outward.

I'm surprised your engine bit the dust at those miles. Something must of happened to it at some point ehh ? Yea these engines are resilient and easily reach 300,000 plus with good maintenance. Your looking for an F150 5.4L from 1999 - 03.

This is the cheapest and best way to simply RR the engine. Of course thers other options dependent upon how deep your pockets are or want to spend.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Are you using a MAC ?

Anyway, best thing to do in this circumstance IMO is to find a good used engine. If I had a choice , reman or used, I would still go with used. I have my reasons derived from experience. A GOOD used engine, - figure on dropping about 1300 bucks on one. You want compression documentation if available. If it isn't available, - it's easy enough to do yourself BEFORE forking out any doe since the engine is most likley out of the vehicle.

For an engine, try the car-part.com website. Type in your zip and it will search for an engine from your local outward.

I'm surprised your engine bit the dust at those miles. Something must of happened to it at some point ehh ? Yea these engines are resilient and easily reach 300,000 plus with good maintenance. Your looking for an F150 5.4L from 1999 - 03.

This is the cheapest and best way to simply RR the engine. Of course thers other options dependent upon how deep your pockets are or want to spend.
I have seen reman prices in the 2500 range and I'm not thrilled by that. A low mileage used engine for a good price would be very nice... I toyed with trying to rebuild mine, but I'm not that route is cost effective.

While I have the engine out, suggestions on other items to address?

And yes, apple product. Haha.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dropkick_pride
I have seen reman prices in the 2500 range and I'm not thrilled by that. A low mileage used engine for a good price would be very nice... I toyed with trying to rebuild mine, but I'm not that route is cost effective.

While I have the engine out, suggestions on other items to address?

And yes, apple product. Haha.
Yea I would NOT go with a reman. Although some have great luck with them, there's a good many that have not and that turns into a big hassle whether they honer the warranty or not. You may think it's a roll of the dice either way you go but, - since a compression test tells the story and Ford built these engines right to begin with, -money has nothing to do with it for me. Some yards will test used motors as they don't want any hassles, but some don't. That can be used to your advantage and a bargaining chip. If you test the engine yourself, you wouldn't be lying by saying that the engine doesn't have the best compression as it won't...not that of a new engine anyway. I guess that's a little misleading, but if you look at in a way that those yards don't test what they sell beforehand, you should benefit at least a little performing that precaution yourself. I think that's fair.

I have a write up somewhere from Ford Motor on compression testing, but it's for an engine in place and operational. You can still use the info as it explains how determine readings of said testing, -

Well, I can't locate it fort some reason ? Scratch that here it is, -

http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...ng-proper.html

Quick Reply: 5.4 sounds like it's exploded on the inside...