Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2001 Screw rear diff.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Shindog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2001 Screw rear diff.

Guys, I need a little guidance here please.
Its time to fix the rear end! I need clutch packs and bearings most likely, Its been shuttering for over 6 months now and starting to get worse. I know its the limited slip issue and I have changed fluids and friction modifier just like this forum recomends and I've viewed the HOW TO on replacing the cluth packs. I just want to make sure I order the right parts and wanted to know were to get them (besides ford if posible). Im also considering replacing the entire limited slip diffrential if that would be more recomended. There are from what I can tell 3 different aftermarket brands but not sure what to go with here or the cost versus just replacing the clutch packs and plates.
Its a 2001 Screw 4X4 with 9.75 rear end and 5.4 eng. the code on the axle is: 9.75 OH31/ S941A.55. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Shindog

Bump, Any suggestions?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

What is your axle code? Do you know for sure it's a limited slip?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

If your going through the whole diff and getting new bearings and such, I would buy an eaton helical limited slip differential(aka detroit truetrac). I put one in my 2wd Scab and with 300lbs worth of sandbags in the rear drove through 8 inches of snow with it. It also uses a helical gear design so its maintenance free and won't have to have a clutch replacement. It's also totally transparent. I can't tell that it's there, it just doesn't slip anymore.

I got my carrier from summitracing for $479 a few months ago so the price should still be the same
Old 03-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Shindog

Originally Posted by Fordfan2006
What is your axle code? Do you know for sure it's a limited slip?
Its a 2001 Screw 4X4 with 9.75 rear end and 5.4 eng. the code on the axle is: 9.75 OH31/ S941A.55. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Its for sure limited slip.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Shindog

I plan on upgrading to a newer truck so I didnt want to spend to much money on this gas hog! A list of parts needed like the cluth fibers, plates and whatever bearings/bushing that should be changed while im in there should get me by.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Shindog

Originally Posted by me1234
If your going through the whole diff and getting new bearings and such, I would buy an eaton helical limited slip differential(aka detroit truetrac). I put one in my 2wd Scab and with 300lbs worth of sandbags in the rear drove through 8 inches of snow with it. It also uses a helical gear design so its maintenance free and won't have to have a clutch replacement. It's also totally transparent. I can't tell that it's there, it just doesn't slip anymore.

I got my carrier from summitracing for $479 a few months ago so the price should still be the same
What else did you have to buy? Did you install it yourself? If so How was it?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Shindog
What else did you have to buy? Did you install it yourself? If so How was it?

I didnt do the swap myself, but apparently it's pretty straightforward and a direct swap. I bought a national bearing/oil seal kit, a rear gasket, wheel bearings, and the differential oil(i used 80w-90 as synthetic oil is not recommended by eaton).

I didn't have the pinion seal or bearing replaced in order to reduce cost(they were included in the kit). The shop said the pinion seal wasn't leaking and the mechanic said he wouldn't mess with it if it was him.

In the end, parts and labor total cost was $1,600 However, had i done the work myself the cost would've been around $700. Labor prices are ridiculously high in my area, it took me quite some time to find someone to do the work for the price that i got. One shop want $900 just to replace the carrier and no bearing work.....
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Shindog

Originally Posted by me1234
I didnt do the swap myself, but apparently it's pretty straightforward and a direct swap. I bought a national bearing/oil seal kit, a rear gasket, wheel bearings, and the differential oil(i used 80w-90 as synthetic oil is not recommended by eaton).

I didn't have the pinion seal or bearing replaced in order to reduce cost(they were included in the kit). The shop said the pinion seal wasn't leaking and the mechanic said he wouldn't mess with it if it was him.

In the end, parts and labor total cost was $1,600 However, had i done the work myself the cost would've been around $700. Labor prices are ridiculously high in my area, it took me quite some time to find someone to do the work for the price that i got. One shop want $900 just to replace the carrier and no bearing work.....
WOW! Im trying to keep it under $500. Thats not looking very realistic at this point! Where did you order your parts from? Do you have any part numbers?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shindog
WOW! Im trying to keep it under $500. Thats not looking very realistic at this point! Where did you order your parts from? Do you have any part numbers?

I got the carrier from summit racing and the parts from advance auto(I ordered the parts online and picked them up in the store. It's cheaper that way)

I have all the part numbers at my house I can get them once I get off of work. My truck has the 8.8 rear though so I don't think you'd be getting the same parts as me though.
The following users liked this post:
Shindog (03-20-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Screw rear diff.