Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1998 5.4L 194,900 miles maintenance wish list.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 5.4L 194,900 miles maintenance wish list.

1998 5.4L 194,900 miles maintenance wish list.I own a 1998 F250 (F150 7700) 4x4 with the sift on the fly ****. It has 194,900 miles on it. The other day it had a misfire and my basic OBD reader stated misfire. I wanted to see witch cylinder but after 2 days of driving can’t duplicate it to read it at a local auto parts store. So don’t know witch cylinder. I would like to do an overhaul on the truck so the truck can be reliable. I have the opportunity to leave my truck at a friend’s garage to do the work and I buy the parts. I wanted to ask members what they would replace on the engine and transmission without a whole engine rebuilt and transmission rebuilt and had around $1500 to $2000 to spend?

I would change:
1. Plugs
2. Wires
3. Coil Pack
4. Vacuum lines
5. ???
Old 02-22-2019, 07:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2000 4.6 is in a similar place(225,000 mi) & I have seen lately it's pretty easy to keep spending money chasing an engine problem. If new coils, plugs, wires solved my misfire I'd call it good & keep driving it. Anything other than the misfire going on with it?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:43 PM

Thank you lonestarjeff
The misfire was one day. has not come up again.
I have cold AC, but the temp. *** does not engage to give me heat. I need new tires and an alignment.
I love the truck more the more I drive it. And to be honest I do not like the new trucks today.
I just want it to be reliable and I have the opportunity change somethings to get me there. Probably need to change the thermostat.
Since it is 4x4 Id like to use it for camping out here in the Southern California desert. Maybe even get a slide-on camper since it can handle the weight.
Just want peoples opinions.
​​​​​​​Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:56 AM
mbb

Received 900 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by SDbackout
1998 5.4L 194,900 miles maintenance wish list.I own a 1998 F250 (F150 7700) 4x4 with the sift on the fly ****. It has 194,900 miles on it. The other day it had a misfire and my basic OBD reader stated misfire. I wanted to see witch cylinder but after 2 days of driving can’t duplicate it to read it at a local auto parts store. So don’t know witch cylinder. I would like to do an overhaul on the truck so the truck can be reliable. I have the opportunity to leave my truck at a friend’s garage to do the work and I buy the parts. I wanted to ask members what they would replace on the engine and transmission without a whole engine rebuilt and transmission rebuilt and had around $1500 to $2000 to spend?

I would change:
1. Plugs
2. Wires
3. Coil Pack
4. Vacuum lines
5. ???
By all means, change the wires.

You got a 20 year old truck.
That's fairly high mileage.
All depends on how it was cared for as to what condition it's in.

When was the last time tranny fluid was changed?

​​​​​​Do maintenance
fix things that need fixing.
dont fix things that dont.

How are brakes, ball joints, steering linkage, cooling system, tires, shocks?

If you're asking what you should spend money on on YOUR truck nobody can tell you.

Chances are at 200k a lot of it needs work if you look

​​​​​​

Last edited by mbb; 02-23-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:06 PM

You are probably right. I know from the Car Fax report the truck was serviced at a Ford dealer on regular intervals until 2012 from date of purchase. Then an independent shop, that was on the car report. I called and and a lady told me the owner brought the truck in for regular service until 2016. Than it looks like by the millage it sat for about 2 years.

I don't know about the transmission fluid I'd have to look at the report if it shows it. That is something I was thinking to doing.

The brakes, I don't know, it stops well enough. I need to check the rotors. Rear parking brake is almost none existent, I don't know if it needs adjustment or new pads. It is a 3/4 ton so it rides hard, I don't know if it needs new shocks.

I have not taking is off the road, but in a straight line I am able to engage 4x4 per the light on the console. Low gear does engage. But of coarse I do not know if the from axles are engaged.

I see a lot of these trucks around so they seem to last. I've even come across a few F250s used as a work trucks.

The body is showing it's age with cracked clearcoat and a few dings, but that does not bother me.

At 200k should a rebuilt engine swap be the norm? Also, a rebuilt transmission?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 1998 5.4L 194,900 miles maintenance wish list.