Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ziebart Rust Protection??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Ziebart Rust Protection??

http://www.ziebart.com/

Anyone ever heard of or used these guys? I am curious if their service is worth the money or not. Even though I find myself drooling over the new raptors, I really like my 06 SC and would love to be running it at 200k+ without all those rot holes in the rockers and wheel wells I have been seeing since I moved out of the bible belt and into the rust belt.

They have a shop about 2 hours from my house. According the guy I talked to on the phone they are running a monthly special and for 480ish plus tax they will clean the undercarriage real good treat any surface rust that is existent and then coat the undercarriage rockers and door jams. Its called their super rust protection package or something. He also said that once a year you can bring in your truck and have the undercarriage cleaned and coating inspected and they will recoat any spots that are damaged or rubbing thin

I was saving up for a brushguard but a few more years of life out of my body i might put off the grill guard. Anyone know anything about these guys? Is it just snake oil or does their stuff work?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thisguyuknow
http://www.ziebart.com/

Anyone ever heard of or used these guys? I am curious if their service is worth the money or not. Even though I find myself drooling over the new raptors, I really like my 06 SC and would love to be running it at 200k+ without all those rot holes in the rockers and wheel wells I have been seeing since I moved out of the bible belt and into the rust belt.

They have a shop about 2 hours from my house. According the guy I talked to on the phone they are running a monthly special and for 480ish plus tax they will clean the undercarriage real good treat any surface rust that is existent and then coat the undercarriage rockers and door jams. Its called their super rust protection package or something. He also said that once a year you can bring in your truck and have the undercarriage cleaned and coating inspected and they will recoat any spots that are damaged or rubbing thin

I was saving up for a brushguard but a few more years of life out of my body i might put off the grill guard. Anyone know anything about these guys? Is it just snake oil or does their stuff work?
I don't want to speak for all Ziebarts but the one in Corpus Christi, Texas is terrible...
Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The've been around since the 70's. I can remember TV commercials about them. As to their product/undercoating though, I have no experience with them.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by moose61
I don't want to speak for all Ziebarts but the one in Corpus Christi, Texas is terrible...
Terrible quality? Like they end up getting undercoating on the paint? or terrible customer service? Both?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Is this one of those rust prevention techniques where they slather hot oil all over the frame and underside of the cab?
Or do they sand, paint and or undercoat everything???...
I live in the rust belt too... Whenever I get free time I sand/grind, prime and paint the underside of my truck to stave off the inevitable cancer this area creates. I also rubberized undercoat my wheel wells and bottom of the cab to deaden any sounds and Prevent rust...
I did this on all my trucks except 1 and you can certainly tell the difference.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

In the early days of my youth, I recall the TV commercials where they showed removing screws from the door area (where the door "catch" is) and inserting a rod that sprayed something into the inner doors. I assumed this was a coating that dryed and provided some sort of rust prevention.

If I go back further in my youth (right before the newspaper was chisled on a rock and thrown through your window), my dad would wash the salt and snow off the rocker panels of his newly purchased 64 Ford galaxy 500 in the garage. The garage had a tapered floor for all that crap into the sewage system I suppose. It helped, but after about two years, the rockers still had bubbling, which put my dad into a rage!

Found this on ziebart's site about their rust protection:

http://www.ziebart.com/rust_protection/
Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko

Found this on ziebart's site about their rust protection:

http://www.ziebart.com/rust_protection/
Yeah I read that. It doesn't say whether or not its that oily stuff or if is an actual paint. I kinda assumed it was very similar to the stuff they used to spray in bedliner. I have been googling ziebarts and there is alot of nay saying on other forums which makes me worried a little.

The idea is sound so long as they don't get the stuff on the paint and are careful enough not to plug drain holes. I would think coating the metal underneath would at least stop rust coming from the outside in. I know on my old jeeps I not only have issues of rust starting from the outside (floor pans, frame, rockers, etc) but I also had issues with it rotting from the inside of wall panels, under the carpet and inside doors. The problem with older cars is that the water gets into them through the seal and the doors and tailgate are designed to have the water flow through them. My 06 seems alot more sealed up than my '77 cherokee.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thisguyuknow
Terrible quality? Like they end up getting undercoating on the paint? or terrible customer service? Both?
Terrible service and terrible work. Quality was fine.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Lima they don"t stand behind what they sell. Will cheat you every chance the get and the rust will still come
Old 08-03-2012, 03:24 PM

well i guess then the question is if there is another company (preferably located reasonably close to illinois) that has a similar quality product but better more reliable service?

Quick Reply: Ziebart Rust Protection??