Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Xpipe or Hpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Xpipe or Hpipe?

I know there's lots of info on these two but I wanna know what sounds deeper and not frappy like a Chevy on our trucks. My Roush muffler is broken inside and annoying so I'm going true duals with X of H pipe and two Borla's. Another question is which one (again) sounds deeper and less Chevy frappy, the XR-1 or the Attack?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The x pipe will have a better flow to it I've never heard what an h-pipe sounds like in person but I do know the x-pipe sounds good, a buddy of mine has an x pipe with magna flows and it sounds damn good
Old 05-09-2014, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy_Caddillac
The x pipe will have a better flow to it I've never heard what an h-pipe sounds like in person but I do know the x-pipe sounds good, a buddy of mine has an x pipe with magna flows and it sounds damn good
ya I was lookin into those magnapacks but I'm not sure which is louder between those and the XR-1. The Atak is a huge muffler so I can't fit two under my truck. I think I'm going to call borla tomorrow and see what they can offer me for aggression
Old 05-09-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

H pipe will give you a throaty tone, while an X tends to be more raspy. (personal opinion from experience with Mustangs)
Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by dhsmustang
H pipe will give you a throaty tone, while an X tends to be more raspy. (personal opinion from experience with Mustangs)
ya lots of mustang videos on YouTube. Quality is garbage so it's hard to tell which sounds better
Old 05-09-2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by dhsmustang
agreed on the mustang situation. but the one my buddy has is an f150 and it sounds good, not arguing with you just saying what ive seen. and yea the videos on youtube have bad sound quality i uploaded i vid of my old truck and it sounded nothing like it in person.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:59 AM

why not just go true duals?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Surkanos
I know there's lots of info on these two but I wanna know what sounds deeper and not frappy like a Chevy on our trucks. My Roush muffler is broken inside and annoying so I'm going true duals with X of H pipe and two Borla's. Another question is which one (again) sounds deeper and less Chevy frappy, the XR-1 or the Attack?
Your Roush muffler was made by Magnaflow...just fyi. You will love the Borla's. My truck has CM Performance mufflers which are built just like the Borlas. And I have an X-pipe. Heres some clips

This one is not great but reving at the last 20-30secs is good.

Last edited by Blown Ford; 05-09-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM

heres my awesome computer drawing .......but it seems like the middle of the H pipe would act kinda as a resonator almost.. what does that air flow do once it gets in the middle there. like i said though i have no experience with the H-pipe
Attached Thumbnails Xpipe or Hpipe?-pipes.jpg  
Old 05-09-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth... if you're going to the trouble for true duals, you're likely not doing just for sound (although I understand it's important) and likely performance... like cowboy caddillac drew (while it truly is an amazingly awesome computer drawing, I think it might be more accurate to draw some "flow lines" crossing from side to side) you're getting better flow while still accomplishing the balancing you get with the H.

personally, I'd go with function over appearance or sound and do the X and if you don't like the sound, go the expensive route and test some different mufflers with that set up.

Quick Reply: Xpipe or Hpipe?