Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

would it hurt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Default would it hurt?

Just curious if I put a k&n air filter, programmer, and a muffler or full system... Would it hurt my engine? I have a 04 F150 lariat 4x4 with 168,xxx
Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

if its a drop in filter you should be ok, if it is a full cai you might run lean and thats not good, the 04-05 models had a lean issue. if you get a cai make sure it doesn't relocate the maf or it will read incorrectly. and a custom tune will would be best. i am still running canned tunes but might go custom soon to max out my upgrades

some others might chime in on the lean issue as i am no expert ...its just what i have read
Old 06-17-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by TYM1
if its a drop in filter you should be ok, if it is a full cai you might run lean and thats not good, the 04-05 models had a lean issue. if you get a cai make sure it doesn't relocate the maf or it will read incorrectly. and a custom tune will would be best. i am still running canned tunes but might go custom soon to max out my upgrades

some others might chime in on the lean issue as i am no expert ...its just what i have read
Yea I've heard about the lean issue. What about the muffler would it hurt it?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 PM

Muffler or a full system won't hurt as long as the cats are on it ( go high flow if you change them) and the o2 sensors are still reading right. If you delete all your cats you might run into problems thats why most just put on the high flows. For your truck, you would have to do some research but it might have 4 cats and i think you can delete the back 2 but look into for yourself in case i am mistaken
Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 PM

Thank you for some of the information. I was reading around at some old post and someone said letting more in into the engine at such high miles is not good anymore!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 AM

I have never heard that, are you burning oil? Or have other issues?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM

No its just running a little sluggish. I need to change out some parts that are needed. Hopefully then ill get some power back. Then I would like to get a programmer and other things to gain some hp.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:37 AM

make sure its tunned up before putting money into power upgrades. then i would drop in a k&n filter with the gotts mod(@$80 for the filter $10 for the gotts) (much cheaper than the full cai, but i still like the look of a cai a lot better), then swap out the factory muffler with a higher flowing one ($100-150), then put in a programmer (@$3-400) ( canned tunes even make a huge difference). its not going to take off like a rocket but you will notice a huge difference in drivablity. if you do one thing at a time you will see what makes a bigger difference than others for your next project. thats what i did, so i know it works and i will do them all again on my next truck
Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by TYM1
make sure its tunned up before putting money into power upgrades. then i would drop in a k&n filter with the gotts mod(@$80 for the filter $10 for the gotts) (much cheaper than the full cai, but i still like the look of a cai a lot better), then swap out the factory muffler with a higher flowing one ($100-150), then put in a programmer (@$3-400) ( canned tunes even make a huge difference). its not going to take off like a rocket but you will notice a huge difference in drivablity. if you do one thing at a time you will see what makes a bigger difference than others for your next project. thats what i did, so i know it works and i will do them all again on my next truck
Thanks once again! Which is a good programmer? I've heard the edge is pretty good.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 AM

i got the edge and like it...no custom tunes unless you convert it to a gryphon for @$100 (php i think) and then they can put in custom tunes at @$60 a piece but if you buy a gryphon from them the tunes are cheaper and i think you can order it with the tunes before they send it to you. i don't have any other experience with any other tuners but i hear sct are good but shop around and research them to get what you need. also look for a used one....just make sure it is unlocked before you buy it or it won't work on your truck unless you get it reflashed (more $$$ agiain, so no savings going used). autoanything is where i got mine and the give a discount for forum members and it was free shipping when i got mine but i am north of the border so i still had to pay

Quick Reply: would it hurt?