Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Windstar Fan Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Windstar Electric Radiator Fan Install

I have done several fan installs in jeeps and have always gone with contour dual fans because they fit a CJ7 or Grand Wagoneer radiator almost perfectly. I am not a fan of strapping the fans through he radiator fins because, in my experience, the fins always start to get damaged from the weight after prolonged use. What I would do with the old jeeps is take an old busted rad and cut the mount tabs off and then attach them to the contour fan and it would bolt up very nice.

I went to do some junkyard diving last weekend in hopes of trying a contour fan on my 06 fiddy but what I found was that paticular model fan was about 6 inches shorter than the fin surface on the truck's radiator. After some peeking under hoods I came across a windstar and took some measurements.

The fan from the windstar is so close to the dimensions of my radiators preexisting mounts that it is painful. If you bolt the upper mount on the passenger side of the radiator up the mount tab on the dirver's side is literally like an inch shy of the drivers side mount and about a half inch low enough that if you exented it someone it would sit on the rad at an angle.

Im not quite yet but I picked up some angle brackets from lowes and cut the upper and lower mount tabs off the driver's side then mounted the metal brackets in the appropriate spots. I left the original upper tab on the passenger side but I was not able to come up with a good solution for the lower passenger side bracket because that side of the fan does not have the same lip as the drivers side so I will have to be slightly more creative with the bracket.

The unit doesnt perfectly sit against the rad but it still pulls hard enough that you can stick a dvd case (had one sitting on the floor of the truck) and it won't hold it in place but it will very slowly slide down the radiator and the ac condensor can hold up a few sheets of paper. I honestly never testd how strong the air pullwas with the original fan so I don't have a comparison.

All I have left is to get my Flexalite variable speed controller from flexalite and figure out a reliable way of mounting that lower pass side and she will be back on the road. I am also toying with the idea of maybe getting some heavier rubber sheets and trying to maybe cut them and attach them to the shroud of the windstar fan to maybe help direct the flow a little better but I want to see how it does in the Alabama heat as is before I go through the trouble.

I need to pick up appropriately sized bolts

Last edited by Thisguyuknow; 06-23-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:06 AM

Here are som pics of things I was able to stick to the rad fins while the fan was running
DVD box on the driver's side

dvd box on the passenger side

usps cardboard envelope on the condensor
The following users liked this post:
STX Trucky (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LOVE this dude! always great to see factory parts reused for mega-awesomeness!! Im using one giant one from a crown vic on mine
Old 06-23-2012, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by STX Trucky
LOVE this dude! always great to see factory parts reused for mega-awesomeness!! Im using one giant one from a crown vic on mine
I haven't seen the ones in the crown vic. I like the windstar or taurus fans because of how well the shroud hugs the radiator. I have never been a firm believer that the elec fans free up performance in the engine. I figure the extra amperage load on the electrical system will probably increase the resistance on the alternator pulley. Of course the altys in these 06 rigs probably can put out way more amperage at the same rpms as the alty in the jeeps I am used to working on.

I always did the conversion on the jeeps because of how much room it frees up in front of the block. it is such a PITA to change out the belt, water pump, etc with that clutch fan in the way. With thise windstar fan it is insane home much room is opened up in front of the block. You can almost crawl into the engne compartment to change the serp belt out.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Eat. Sleep. Lift.

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I want to install an efan bc of the ac issue. When the current fan kicks off, so does the real cold air coming out of my ac.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by amick218
I want to install an efan bc of the ac issue. When the current fan kicks off, so does the real cold air coming out of my ac.
Well what you could do for that is get one of those aftermart 12" pullers withouth a shroud http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROCOMP-16-I...9cf47f&vxp=mtr on flea bay and strap it to the back of the evaporator then use a cheap relayand tap it into the ac clutch wire. OR wire it to a button under your dash so you can just turn it on when you are at stops and shut it off when you get moving again. I dont think a fan like that one would block normal air flow to the rad and that way you can get your ac cold in traffic without having to go through the trouble of removing the clutch fan and shroud
Old 06-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Eat. Sleep. Lift.

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

That's a good, cheap idea.....I like cheap lol. Do you think that's an amateur job, I'm not very mechanical.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by amick218
That's a good, cheap idea.....I like cheap lol. Do you think that's an amateur job, I'm not very mechanical.
You could do it pretty easy you wire the relay direclty to bat and then wire the on circuit through a toggle switch.. I can do electrical wiring pretty well but I am kinda self taught so I don't know the proper names for things.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 PM

I decided to extend out the shroud and went back the the junkyard today to find some rubber that would be suitable for the task since I have no idea where to buy rubber sheets. I found that late 90 expoders have four pieces of rubber between their radiator and fan shroud that were perfect for the task. I grabbed 6 of them between two explorers at 50 cents a piece.

I cut the pieces as needed and extended the shroud around the outside and on the plenum between the two fans. I also just bolted two L brackets into and S Bracket and used that for the lower pass mount. Now I did all this stuff by hand and eyeballing everything so the shroud and the mounts aren't perfectly flush but its not immediately noticable when you look under the hood.

Extending the shroud definitely made a difference. You can feel an actual suction with your hand through the smaller gaps along the top of rad where the upper shroud meets the radiator. I spray lined the brackets and then mocked everything up. The controller apparently has been mailed to me via the slowest ups truck ever and will not be here until monday. So the wiring will be next week.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Default Wiring

If someone has a wiring diagram for an 06 f150 on digits I would greatly appreciate getting my paws on it. I need to know what color the wire running to the the ac clutch is so I can tap into it for the AC bypass on the fan controller.

Quick Reply: Windstar Fan Install