Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

What scan tool to get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What scan tool to get?

I am looking for recommendations for a scan tool for my 2006 f150 5.4 170k miles

I recently had the engine miss between 40-50mph. I replaced the coils and it seemed to help but not cure the problem. And after doing that a couple times out of 50 it hasn't wanted to start. I just have to crank a little more than usual then it starts okay. I want a scan tool to see what is going on but I know nothing about them. There is no check engine light and no codes (I have a scan tool that just shows codes but not advanced things)

I tried to search but didn't find much. If there is a similar post please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Thanks Brian
Old 07-29-2017, 12:09 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Hmm, why didn't you replace the sparkplugs also? Amazon is a great place to read reviews of scan gauges. The Torque Pro app is very popular here as well.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:19 AM

I didn't replace the spark plugs because I have read too many horror stories and I didn't want to unless I knew I had to. Will any ob2 scanner show me what I need to know?
Old 07-29-2017, 11:06 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Well you are 70k past the plugs useful life. Do you have a smart phone? If so, torque app pro is a great scan tool.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:25 PM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

I agree with @Summers22 about the plug stuff. But I'm a little concerned about you wanting a Scan tool to help you find the cause of misfires. THE CAUSE OF THAT can be a little illusive on 5.4s. But like @Summers22, I'd start there.

On your random misfire problem, you might get some benefit from my post about my experiences with misfires and what I believe addresses misfires as well as plugs breaking off in the head: https://www.f150forum.com/f12/ford-f...4/#post4405407

As for scan tools - to me, the biggest problem lies in the Manufacturer's keeping their cards close to their chest (they do not publish most of the good stuff and use it for their Techs to charge you big bucks for 'diagnostics'. There are only about 30 things that are mandated for all manufacturers to provide, and 'MOST' of the scanners will read those & reset codes. Then with many scanners they charge EXTRA for extended parameters for specific vehicles. But - those do not include ALL information that really is available from the PCM. The ability to ADD parameters and custom gauges is a feature that really unlocks a scanner. The inexpensive Torque Pro App for Android devices is the only one that I am aware of that fully implements this capability.

With it you can do things like shown in these posts:
Monitor Cam Phasers:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...4/#post5133357

Read Temperatures:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/torque-...1/#post5339202

Graphing Front/Rear O2 Sensors:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/misfire...2/#post5069252

and an endless number of other things with some imagination and research.

I don't think you would be dissatisfied with that choice for the cost ($4.95 for the App), plus about ($20 to $49 for a good Bluetooth dongle).
Old 07-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

+3 for the Torque Pro App and Bluetooth dongle.

Sure there are better out there, but for under $30 (if you have an android device), the Torque Pro App does most that a home mechanic needs for diagnostic work.

The Forscan program is another one that works well (is free??) and does a lot more. I believe it is PC based only though. There is a sticky here somewhere with more info on it.

Originally Posted by Bwkemp
I didn't replace the spark plugs because I have read too many horror stories and I didn't want to unless I knew I had to. Will any ob2 scanner show me what I need to know?
It needs to be done, horror stories or not.
Many write ups on how to do it. Just replace with Motorcraft 515 plugs and have the Lisle Extraction tool handy (I ordered mine on Amazon, luckily did not need it so was able to return it, sometimes you can find them for sale here or locally used). Techniques differ, with some going with use impact gun to remove, some saying follow the Ford TSB (soak with penetrating oil, loosen a touch, let soak some more, then slowly remove).
I did the slow way with none breaking @ 156,000 miles, some have had all 8 break doing it this way.

Last edited by blupupher; 07-29-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwkemp
I am looking for recommendations for a scan tool for my 2006 f150 5.4 170k miles

I recently had the engine miss between 40-50mph. I replaced the coils and it seemed to help but not cure the problem. And after doing that a couple times out of 50 it hasn't wanted to start. I just have to crank a little more than usual then it starts okay. I want a scan tool to see what is going on but I know nothing about them. There is no check engine light and no codes (I have a scan tool that just shows codes but not advanced things)

I tried to search but didn't find much. If there is a similar post please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Thanks Brian
Are you the original owner ? With 170 K miles on your motor you may have the re-designed SP515 plugs in there or an aftermarket plug that will come right out. Only the original OEM SP507's broke when trying to extract. Suggest you replace your plugs with the SP515 and replace the boots and springs.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

If you want a good comprehensive stand alone scan tool with ABS and air bag scan and code delete feature I recommend "Foxwell N 630 pro @ around $100 shipped from Amazon or E Bay.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:29 PM

I am not the original owner. I bought it two years ago with 140000 miles. I am unsure if they have been changed out or not, but would lean towards not.

I am not as conserved about the misfire as the hard starting. I agree plugs are probably in the near future but I wanted to be able to see if that is all.

I do have an android phone so I will probably get a scanner and the app.

Thanks Brian
Old 07-29-2017, 06:39 PM

Also the coils came with the springs boots, so they got changed too. They were however cheap ebay ones so I wanted to make sure one wasn't bad out of the box. I blew out the holes with an air compressor and put dielectric grease on them.