Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Torque App

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Torque App

So there has been quite a bit of talk about the Torque app. I have had it for well over a year, and used it a lot. There are some interesting things you can look at. I have downloaded and enabled the VCT PIDs, but they don't seem to be working. Here is a screen shot of my drive in to work. How many misfires are normal? What is the normal fuel tank pressure? Is there something I am doing incorrectly with the VCT PID? Thanks
Old 06-01-2017, 12:25 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

@Jojodapyro I'm confused by your two On/Off buttons labeled "VGT" showing NO PCM response. I know of no VCT PID with that acronym, although I realize you can customize Torque Pro displays and name them whatever you like.

Also (no fault of Torque Pro), vehicle manufacturers AND Scanner manufacturers are unfortunately not very consistent in assignment of Acronyms for PIDs ///Damn them///. So, which PIDs are you using for VCT, (I think you are asking about VCT solenoids - % Duty Cycle. My research has come up with:

CAMDCR (Mode/PID 2216CF) with formula ((A*256)+B)*(100/32767) should give you 0 - 100 % duty cycle for Bank1 VCT.

VCT2DC (Mode/PID 22091E) with same formula should give you 0-100 % duty cycle on Bank 2 VCT.

?? Did you download the CSV file attached to the post at https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...4/#post5133357 ??. If so, you should be able to copy that text file to the .Torque/extendedpids directory and 'import' them into Torque from the Manage Custom sensors/PIDs settings.
Originally Posted by Jojodapyro
How many misfires are normal? What is the normal fuel tank pressure?

*** NO MISFIRES are NORMAL *** A useful PID to monitor is MFF_0_CNT (_Number Drive cycles Since DTC CLR or MISFIRE). This PID is incremented by 1 for each run cycle, and is cleared either when DTCs are cleared, or when a misfire occurs _after the first 200 revolutions_ (Those occurring in the first 200 REVS do not reset this counter and are viewed differently - even though they DO increment MFTOT). So it is important to distinguish between them. I have seen my '04 (225k miles) get as high as 75 drive cycles with ZERO misfires in MFF_0_CNT (post 200 revs). See the recent screenshot from my Torque 'Misfire dashboard' shows 57. I was going to be a 'smart-***' and get a more recent screenshot to show you a higher number ---- and as MURPHY would have it .... I turned the key on and paused for Torque to connect Bluetooth and the PCM, grabbed a Temperature Screenshot, then hit the starter and the DAMN THING misfired 3 times and 'reset all my counters! I have NO IDEA WHY. Guess it had something to do with fuel pressure coming up several seconds before I hit the starter ?? ((( It's all your fault!))) lol

If the elements in the attached screenshot would be helpful to you - I have posted all the PIDs & equations for this screen here:
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/5-4-3v-...5/#post5287209

I will post a separate response to the other things you asked after I dig up some PIDs and a matching screenshot or two. I'm specifically interested in your CHT display. It looks a little high to me, and I had lots of trouble with that one. I have also worked out Tank Pressure - in Inches of Water, a more meaningful measure for me.

Torque Pro Misfire analysis dashboard
Old 06-01-2017, 10:18 AM

I added a monitor for all 8 cylinders for the drive home. I made it about 12 of the 14 mile trip without a single "Misfire" And then one popped up, but it didn't register with a cylinder. I did download the CSV, but some of the PID's you have don't seem to show up on my list. So, I'll keep looking. The Highest the head temp has been since I have been running it is 240. I also thought that may be a bit high, but had no idea. Thanks again for being so versed in the Torque app. Sadly it sometime takes us putting off repairs for so long that we begin to worry.

Just went back in to look if the CSV was there, and it wasn't. I'll give it another shot on the way home.
Just remembered, my Head temp, using the alternate method is 13,000, so, maybe a bad sensor, or two?

Last edited by Jojodapyro; 06-01-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:57 PM
LightningRod

It's NOT YOU. The 'individual cylinder' misfire count PIDs are not supported on the Triton engines. The PCM keeps up with individual counts because it is available via Mode 06 Report, but not presented on misfire count PIDS 160E thru 1615. But this whole OBDII thing seems more 'helter - skelter' the more you learn about it. PID assignments seem scattered around. Acronyms aren't always the same --- and Long Names sometimes seem at odds with Acronyms. I have tried to use Acronyms that seem most commonly used, but even then sometimes its difficult to follow a good pattern.

I think (I HOPE) the Acronym/Long Name association may be why you can't find some of the PIDs in Torque after importing the CSV file. A couple of the gauges are standard part of the Torque set. I like to put an underscore in front of the ones I create. They should show up at front of the list and be distinguishable from Torque's.

I'm still going to post here a screenshot, list of PIDs, and CSV file for all my gauges for a collection of temperatures. Just parsing the CSV file. This will clear up your high CHT and ridiculous 13000 reading on the CHT volts. (It's NOT a bad sensor). That sensor is very critical and very smart (it is the basis for several operations and provides calculated coolant temperature w/o coolant sensor). The PCM runs an extensive calibration test on it once each cold soak. Somehow - (IDK how) it keeps a 'normalized' reading (CHTMP) while this is going on ???.

As for your TANK pressure. The following will get you Tank Pressure in Inches of Water, and Tank sensor Voltage reading.

Mode/PID: 221687
Name: _Fuel Tank Pressure InH2O
Short Name: FTP_InH2O
Min/Max -30,+5
Units In H2O
Equation: (Signed(A)+B)*0.0040146307866177
Header: Auto
Diagnostic start/stop: blank
Override PID: blank

Mode/PID: 221687
Name: _Fuel Tank Pressure in Pascals
Short Name: FTP Pa
Min/Max -10,000/+1000
Units Pa
Equation: Signed(A)+B

Mode/PID: 221639
Name: _Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Volts
Short Name: FTP_V
Min/Max: 0,5
Equation: (A*256+B)/13107

Last edited by F150Torqued; 01-18-2018 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Improved Formulas for better accuracy & ADDED (Pascal) 'FTP_pa' PID
Old 06-01-2017, 07:09 PM
LightningRod

Default TORQUE PRO dashboard - MONITOR EVERYTHING temperature

@Jojodapyro your 'cylinder head temp' (CHTMP) looks a little high. I spent literally hundreds of hours working on bizarre formulas trying to curve fit Engine Oil Temperature to the table in the Factory Service Manual. I was researching engine cooling effect of retarding the cams - (and learned it is real). As part of that exercise, I worked out a formula for CHT directly from cylinder head temp sensor which reads in voltage - Pid 1685 CHT (Alt). I found that PID #1624 'Cylinder Head Temp' CHTMP is 'normalized' by the PCM - and surprisingly doesn't _FIT_ Ford's Temp chart perfectly. I have adjusted Torque's equation for CHTMP slightly to ((A*256)+B)*1.999. This brings it in line with the temperature table AND the diagnostic troubleshooting chart --- about 10 degrees above Coolant temperature. With the gauges in the attached Torque Pro temperature monitor dashboard you can see the 'live' reading from the CHT voltage sensor (PID #1685) swing above the PCM 'normalized' CHTMP when the engine is loaded heavily, (as shown in the attached screenshot). Then it will drop below CHTMP when cruising, coasting. You can see the cylinder head cooling effect of Cam retard.
`
Note 1: I have created a special equation using a 'pseudo' PID to make the CHT_v/f gauge alternately read Volts/Deg. It is accomplished by using the PCM's positive Torque counter (PID 1617) . Therefore, when you decelerate, the positive Torque counter stops, so the gauge stops switching, then resumes switching when you accelerate again (its pretty cool). This Screenshot was taken when I was heavily accelerating from standstill past 60 mph at 91% engine load. (Engine run time 197 seconds from leaving the bank) and it's reflected in CHT_v/F and TransFL temp.
`
Note 2: EOT_CSpoly is Engine Oil Temperature calculated from the PCMs Voltage Input from the EOT Sensor. It has a really difficult temperature/voltage curve. The Formula is a "Cubic Spline Polynomial" (that is actually quad spline, or (4) combined curves to achieve a good temperature fit from about 40 degrees to 250-60 degrees F. (I actually had some help from a very smart Russian forum member in developing it. (But keep that quiet or I'll be the target of a FORTH Senate investigation for some Russian connection!).
`
EOTFM and CHTFM are 'fault' flag bits that indicate a fault with the sensors (FMEM 'fault mode engine management' where the PCM is using a default value - and the reading cannot be trusted/used).
`
EOT Volts, Intake ºf, TransFl ºF are self explanatory. _RT is engine Run Time in seconds - up to 255.
`
If anyone wishes to build a Torque Pro Temperature monitoring dashboard like this (For 2004-2008 5.4L F150 - and possibly other models), the following PIDs must be keyed in EXACTLY as follows. (EXACTLY REALLY MEANS EXACTLY) OR, the attached '.csv' file can be copied to the .Torque/extendedpids folder on an android device and 'imported' into Torque, then add the gauges to an available torque dashboard.
`
---- Load, Speed, and Coolant Temp are Standard Torque Pro PIDS. Additional ones are:
RCAM is the PCM's commanded degrees of cam retard for the current load / driving conditions. (All Scale = x1, Header = Auto, Start & Stop diagnostic cmd = blank, Overrides PID = blank)
`
Mode/PID: 2216CD
Name: _VCT Retard Requested
Short Name: RCAM
Min/Max: 0,62
Units: Cks Deg
Equation: (ABS(Signed(A)*256+B)/12.8)
`
Mode/PID: 2216AF
Name: _Engine Oil Temperature F.
Short Name: EOT_CSpoly
Min/Max: 0,300
Units: °F
Equation: (0.000000000000006*(((A*256+B)/64)^6))+(-0.000000000023539*(((A*256+B)/64)^5))+(0.000000035224767*(((A*256+B)/64)^4))+(-0.000026002718966*(((A*256+B)/64)^3))+(0.010060545286623*(((A*256+B)/64)^2))+(-2.15299002755322*((A*256+B)/64))+347.216057683581
`
`
--- You can add the following PID (1624) or use the Torque standard PID 1624 for Cylinder Head Temperature and edit the equation and short name as per the following ---

Mode/PID: 221624
Name: _Cylinder head temperature normalized
Short Name: CHTMP_n
Min/Max: 0,300
Units: ºF
Equation: (A*256+B)*1.999
`
`
Mode/PID: 2216A9
Name: _EOT Fault Mode
Short Name: EOTFM
Min Max: 0,1
Units: Yes/No
Equation: {A:1}
`
Mode/PID: 221689
Name: _Cylinder Head Temp unavailable
Short Name: CHTFM
Min/Max: 0,1
Units: Yes/No
Equation: {A:0}
`
Mode/PID: 2216AF
Name: Engine Oil Temp v
Short Name: EOT_v
Min/Max 0,5
Units: Volts
Equation: (A*256+B)/13107
`
Mode/PID: 221685
Name: _CHT V/F
Short Name: CHT_v/f
Min/Max 0,300
Units Volts/Deg
Equation: (VAL{_TRQ-acc 1617})*((65535-(A*256+B))/13107)+(((VAL{_TRQ-acc 1617})*-1)+1)*((65535-(A*256+B))/94.875)
`
Mode/PID: 221617
Name: _TRQ-acc 1617
Short Name: TRQ+1617
Min/Max: 0,100
Units: flip-flop
Equation: ((A*256+B)&8)/8
`
Mode/PID: 221126
Name: _Run Time since engine start
Short Name: _RTm
Min/Max: 0, 255
Units: Sec
Equation: A
`
`
Transmission Fluid Temp is part of the Standard Torque Pro set. Use Method 1 or Method 2, which ever works. The Formula for correct reading should be [and probably is] (A*256+B)/8 for correct reading on 2004-2008 F150, either trans type.
`
Enjoy !!!!

The 'CSV' (flat text) attached to this post can be downloaded and copied to the .Torque/extendedpids directory on an Android device and imported directly into Torque through the Manage custom sensors/pids menu. Then the gauges can be added in the configuration and location desired.

Torque Pro temperature monitor screen

----------E D I T --- 08/14/2018
I have found a PID that contains CATALYTIC CONVERTER inferred temperature as calculated by the PCM, and added it to the Temperature Monitor dashboard.... as follows:

Added two additional gauges - and changed to custom parameters for Coolant Temperature.

1) EOT/ECT Delta, the difference (Degrees Fº) between engine oil temperature and engine coolant temperature. Just gives a quick birds eye view of difference between these two gauges already displayed.

2) Inferred Catalytic Converter "MID BED". Calculated by PCM (parameters and formula UNK) but stored for reporting in the Mode$06 emissions report. ((Seems to me it would need to be relatively accurate to meet Federal emissions requirements, and should indicate something about CAT Efficiency. There's a LOT I don't know)).

3) NEW Version 2 'CSV' download file with the two new gauges added.

Mode/PID: 221139
Name: _Engine Coolant Temperature Input
Short Name: _ECT Input
Min/Max: 0, 255
Units: ?
Equation: A
`
'
Mode/PID ...... intentionally blank
Name: _EOT-ECT_Delta
Short Name: _EOTECTD
Min/Max: 0, 100
Units Deg F.
Equation: Val{_Engine Oil Temperature F.}-Val{_Engine Coolant Temperature Input}
'
'
Mote/PID: 220907
Name: Caalytic Converter Inferred Mid Bed Temperature
Short Name: CATBED
Min/Max 0, 2000
Units Deg F.
Equation" A*256+B

---------------------- Now looks like this

Last edited by F150Torqued; 08-14-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Located new PID an ADDED two new guages
The following users liked this post:
Jojodapyro (05-07-2019)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:20 AM
LightningRod

@Jojodapyro ; Did a little more research on your gauges labeled "VGT". In the stock Ford extended PIDs that comes with Torque Pro, that is the Variable Geometry Turbo (# 096D). And you ain't got one of them on your truck! But those guys with turbo chargers on their late models might get a zero to 100% duty cycle reading out of that PID. That is another good example of the difficulty scanner providers has in trying to provide a 'one-fits-all' scanner. It just can't be, so Torque's approach of max flexibility and customizability is the best approach - in my opinion. If one don't work you can edit it and make it work, or delete the display, or add one that will work (with a long tap on the screen).
Old 06-02-2017, 10:13 AM

Awesome. I'll load it up and see what I can see.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like we've got some guys that are much more spun up and knowledgeable with the Torque Pro app than I am. I would like to know gauges everyone likes to scan mainly for engine health but also for performance..

I also have a high(er) CHTMP at 240 when driving on the highway, but its never above that and usually lower at slow speeds, and my coolant temp isnt't usually ever above 195. So I adjusted the formula to the one mentioned previously in this thread. I also get anywhere from 0 to 10 misfires on a normal 60 minute trip - almost always at very low speeds. I can't feel them at all so I was wondering if it was anything to be concerned with. I changed the spark plugs last week, but not the COP's. That change eliminated a misfire I had around 45mph that I could actually feel. Everything else feels good and the truck runs well but I want to monitor the numbers for preventative maintenance.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 PM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

This is great, I wanted to monitor transmission temps while towing, this seems like the no brainer solution. Any particular ODB reader recommended for this?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

I have used this one for over 2 years with 0 problems. Its cheap and effective.
Amazon Amazon

Also it is the no brainer route to go IMO. I use it right on my android head unit to monitor many things.